StarCraft 2 on PC and Macintosh | Teen Ink

StarCraft 2 on PC and Macintosh

November 4, 2010
By James-Fincher BRONZE, Arroyo Grande, California
James-Fincher BRONZE, Arroyo Grande, California
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
An author in his book must be like God in the universe, present everywhere and visible nowhere. ~Gustave Flaubert


StarCraft 2 is the best PC/Mac game of the decade. If you are even remotely interested in strategy games, you must head on down to your local store and pick it up. Right now. Seriously. Go.

You still aren't convinced? All right fine, I'll give it an actual review.

Gameplay:
StarCraft 2 is an RTS (real-time strategy) video game. If you aren't familiar with how you play an RTS, then let me explain how it works. At the beginning of a typical StarCraft game, you start off with a big building (that has a different name, depending on what race you play) and a whole bunch of little harvesters. Right next to the harvesters are glowing blue minerals. With your mouse, you drag a circle around those harvesters than right click on the minerals. The harvesters will then begin to harvest. You can create more harvesters, then you want to make buildings that will allow you to create a massive army. Sounds simple, right? Well StarCraft 2 is simple at base, but if you wish you can create massive armies and be very strategic. Just watch a professional match on youtube! Gameplay is easy to learn, hard to master. But not impossible to master, mind you. StarCraft 2's gameplay is absolutely incredible.

Story:
I honestly do not want to spoil any of the amazing campaign, so all I am going to say is, "The campaign alone is enough to buy this game. Though it's only 25% of what the game has to offer."

Graphics:
StarCraft 2 is a very beautiful game. The cutscenes, which are made using the game's graphic engine, look very nice. In game, they aren't necessarily jaw dropping, but they are very clear and nice to look at. With the graphic customization options you can make a three year old computer run it just fine. Maybe even an older one. In all, the graphics are very good.

Multiplayer:
The multiplayer component in StarCraft 2 is the most robust multiplayer I have ever experienced. First off, is the ladders and ranking system. Battle.net 2.0 is amazing at putting you up against people on your skill level. You can watch replays of your games whenever you like, which really helps you see where you need to improve. Also, there are custom maps. This is what will keep StarCraft 2 alive for years to come. The Galaxy Editor is the custom map builder, and it allows you to do anything you want! You want to make a side scroller with just one marine? GO AHEAD! Anything is possible with this editor. Beware, though, some features on the Galaxy Editor are difficult to use. It's easy to mess with the terrain and put in trees and units, but some things are hard for someone...well...like me. But that doesn't matter! There are thousands of custom maps being added DAILY. And it's free to play them! Oh, and if you are interested in playing with your friends, StarCraft is great for that. Do you have seven friends that want StarCraft? If so, you should know that it's possible to play 4v4 (four teams on each side.) In short, the multiplayer aspect of StarCraft 2 is absolutely incredible.

Replay Value:
Like I said, the campaign alone is enough to buy this game. In the campaign, there are three achievements for every mission you play. Some are more difficult than others, but all of them will challenge you. By completing these challenges you get points and trophies. Trophies can be anything, including emblems to go on your units, or a portrait to go along with your profile. Even multiplayer has achievements, so many achievements... Oh, and did I mention that the campaign has choices? Yes, like in Mass Effect, but not as robust as Mass Effect, of course. There are three occasions where you are allowed to choose who you want to side with. This doesn't really affect the story all that much, but it does change what kind of units you'll have, what kind of people will be on your ship, and the missions you'll play. StarCraft 2 will be played again and again for the next decade.

Verdict:
10/10 Gameplay
10/10 Story
9.5/10 Graphics
10/10 Multiplayer
11/10 Replay Value

The final score is 10/10. This game is absolutely incredible, and I suggest that you leave your computer right now and go pick this game up. But say goodbye to your family first, once you pop the disc into your computer you'll never want to return to reality again.

The author's comments:
The campaign alone is enough to buy this game. Though it's only 25% of what the game has to offer.