Batman: Arkham Asylum | Teen Ink

Batman: Arkham Asylum MAG

October 30, 2009
By Xahnant BRONZE, Yuba City, California
Xahnant BRONZE, Yuba City, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ask any comic book fan who their favorite superhero is, and they will probably reply Batman. Champion of the innocent, Batman is well known and loved. With its dark, psychological themes, serious, mature tones, and the most awesome villains ever, there's a reason this comic is so popular. Sadly, Batman fans have never been blessed with a game that accurately portrays the characters and captures the feeling of being Batman – until now.

Relatively unknown game developer Rocksteady Studios has finally delivered the game Batman fans have been praying for. “Batman: Arkham Asylum” takes place in the asylum where all of Batman's insane foes reside. For the umpteenth time, our hero has captured the Joker and is returning him to the madhouse. However, Batman is filled with unease as the Joker heckles the guards, seemingly overjoyed to return. Adding to Batman's apprehension, hundreds of the Joker's brutal henchmen are at the asylum after a fire destroyed their prison.

Batman's suspicions prove correct, and the Joker escapes in a flash and takes control of the asylum, with Batman forced to take part in his enemy's game.

Rocksteady invented a fabulous new combat mechanism that completely captures Batman's fighting prowess. Called Freeflow, it consists of four moves: strike, counter, stun, and dodge. These chain together, forming combinations that allow the player to take down the Joker's thugs. As the game progresses, combat gets tougher and the player must skillfully keep the combo flowing by countering attacks and showing variety. In addition, Batman's skill of stealthily dispatching goons and utilizing fear is accurately portrayed. In the “invisible predator” sections, players utilize Batman's high-tech gadgets and strategy to take out armed henchmen.

The story is expertly written by Paul Dini, who also created the animated Batman series. Filled with plot twists and surprises, this game will keep you on the edge of your seat, and you may fall completely off on occasion. The game includes many fan-favorite heroes and villains, like Commissioner Gordon and Harley Quinn. Each is excellently portrayed and many are voiced by the same actors from the TV series. Mark Hamill does a brilliant job as the Joker, creepy and hilarious at the same time, and the authoritative voice of Batman is once again perfected by Kevin Conroy.

The game runs on the Unreal Engine 3.5, which gives the environments and characters exquisite detail. You'll often stop in wonder as you explore every inch of the asylum and the island. Plus, Rocksteady has included hundreds of Easter eggs for players to discover in the form of challenges left behind by the Riddler.

Batman fans will not be disappointed. This game is what they have been clamoring for, and it is safe to say that this is the best comic book video game to date.

Side note: the Playstation 3 version includes an awesome downloadable bonus where you actually get to be the Joker in his own Freeflow and Invisible Predator challenges! Yet another reason to buy this amazing game!