Titanfall 2 | Teen Ink

Titanfall 2

December 19, 2018
By FinsUp220 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
FinsUp220 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I grew tired after playing the newest Call of Duty title and decided it was time to look for a new game to play. I found a streamer on Twitch who regularly played Titanfall 2 and after a week or two of watching I decided to buy the game for myself; it was the best $20 I had spent in a long time.


Titanfall 2 is a first-person shooter developed by Respawn Entertainment and released on the XBox One, Playstation 4, and Windows 10 on October 28, 2016. The game, like many other first-person shooters, has a core objective of eliminating opponents to win. However, unlike most first-person shooters, the game also allows the player to fight for victory while controlling two-story mechas known as Titans.


In other first-person shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield, the player is locked onto the ground, restricted by any wall taller higher than 6 feet. This makes matches in these games feel repetitive and boring over time. However, in Titanfall 2 the player can run on walls, jump and second time while in the air, and can move around much faster. This is due to a combination of two key mechanics in the game. One that gives the player a speed boost while sliding or jumping off of a wall, and another that allows players to keep their momentum while moving in the air or while sliding. The combination of these two mechanics allows the player to reach high velocities by repeating a slide and jump process; no other game on the market gives players this ability. The movement system is nearly perfect; each transition between movements feels very smooth and natural. The only issue I have with it is how slow the player moves while clambering onto a wall. This dramatically kills the speed of the game and it hurts long chains of movement techniques. Jumping from wall to wall at high speeds only to be stopped dead in your tracks to climb over a ledge is a serious buzzkill and can be fixed by simply decreasing the time it takes to climb over.


Titanfall 2 also promotes teamwork much more than other games in a few different ways. The game has team-based modes such as capture the flag and bounty hunt, a mode where players earn points by eliminating enemies, however points must be deposited in certain locations to go towards the team’s score. In these modes, the player’s actions truly matter and will affect the outcome of the match; both player’s individual choices and the communication between members is vital. Not many games offer these modes and instead focus more on modes that require the player to eliminate other players to win without encouraging team-play.


Titanfall 2 has a playstyle for everyone, containing over 100 weapons, 7 pilot kits, 7 titans that all have unique abilities, and a plethora of cosmetics. There are long-range rifles for players who choose to stay out of the action and fast firing guns for close encounters. The game also provides unconventional weapons to mix things up like a rocket launcher that shoots balls of energy or a bulky laser rifle with high damage capability. The pilot kit selection is also very customisable, adding another layer of freedom to choose how you want to play. Pilot kits are choosable classes that give the player special abilities while playing. The player can choose to become invisible or to have super speed, however I prefer the grapple kit which allows me to swing across the battlefield like Spiderman. No matter what kit you choose, you will still be immersed into the fast paced gameplay found nowhere else. The unlockable cosmetic items have no impact on the game whatsoever. They change how the colors of the players armor, weapons, and titan. The game offers many cosmetics for free, but there are some that are bought in bundles for five dollars. Other than the initial purchase of the game, this is the only payment a player can make. This lack of pay-to-win items is extremely rare in video games today and is another reason why Titanfall 2 is better than its competitors.


However, there is one major issues I have with Titanfall 2 regarding balance and fairness in multiplayer matches, solely relating to the capability of weapons in the game. There are a handful that are too well suited for all scenarios. The G-2, Hemlock, and Devotion are the usual suspects when talking about overpowered weapons. Both the G-2 and Hemlock are classified as mid-range rifles, however the distance they are effective at is endless. A player can eliminate enemies in mere seconds from up close or hundreds of feet way. The same can be said about the Devotion, the only difference is that it is classified as a heavy machine gun. All three of these weapons can deal large amounts of damage as well, so a player can earn many points while virtually untouchable, shooting from a secluded rooftop. Luckily, these weapons have become taboo in the core community surrounding Titanfall 2, waiting for Respawn Entertainment to recognize the issue and fix it. However, the option is still available and there will usually be a player in a match who will choose to abuse this power and create an environment that is not as enjoyable for everyone.


After earning enough points during a match, the player is given the option to call in a Titan. After the player presses a button on their controller, a small light appears in the sky, growing larger as it crashes towards the ground like a meteorite. The Titan makes impact, crushing everything below it, and is ready to be piloted. The Titans allow players to mix things up and to change the course of a match by defending objectives or eliminating pilots faster. Ironically, though, playing as a Titan feels more like the average first-person shooter than playing as a pilot; the towering robots are limited to the layout of the terrain. This feeling, however, is still far different than playing Call of Duty or Battlefield. Even though the Titans are stuck to the ground, they are lumbering machines, not a human body. They give the player a sense of power over the enemy players that now appear to be small action figures. Not only is a Titan a weapon, but it is also a wingman for the player. It will give the player advice while fighting other titans and will make suggestions for the player’s safety in a calm, monotone voice. This gives new players a helping hand while learning how to play.


Just like pilot kits, there is a Titan that matches all playstyles. Each Titan has its own strengths and weaknesses. When a player sees a Titan, they can know exactly what it’s capable of and they can determine the best way to counter it. Titan combat feels balanced most of the time, regardless of what Titan you choose to pilot. The only exception to this is the Titan, Monarch. When Titanfall 2 was released, players had six Titans to choose from. Each of these six were designed to counter a Titan and to be countered by another. Monarch was interjected into this cycle after the game launched and did not fit well. Using Monarch as your Titan is more like gambling than having a strategy as you’re not sure if you will be able win a fight or be obliterated in seconds.


Titanfall 2 is a must-play for anyone looking for a fast-paced shooter.  The game introduces a movement system that is unique and players are able to traverse the terrain very quickly and smoothly. Players have total control over how they choose to play and there are no advantages in the game that can be purchased. The game’s main attraction, the Titans, giving the player a unique experience, and adds yet another layer of depth to the player’s freedom. I highly recommend Titanfall 2 to all fans of first-person shooters. Respawn Entertainment has made an extraordinary game that sets itself apart from and above all other first-person shooters on the market and continues to improve upon the existing material.