A Dark Adventure | Teen Ink

A Dark Adventure

October 2, 2018
By rookidarrow BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
rookidarrow BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Since I was three, I wasn’t going outside or playing with toys, I was playing video games because it was a better thing for me than going outside. There was always a new adventure every step of the way, I also didn’t have any friends so that was just the next best option and I have always felt alone never being able to fill my deep dark void and the only thing that could fill my void was video games. Now, fast forward to November 22, 2017 (My birthday). The party was great and the only people who arrived were my grandparents. I got a only one gift from my father, and that gift is called Dark Souls. I didn’t understand why I only got one gift but I appreciate it so I popped the game into my console and started playing, little did I know I was going to have the best experience that I ever had from a video game.

When you first start off your with the character that you designed in the Undead Asylum and then an unknown knight drops you a key to get you out of the cell so you can escape and the obstacle that stands in your way is the Asylum Demon. Do you know that moment when you are going on a rollercoaster and your going up to the top of the big drop of the roller coaster and then finally after waiting for the drop you drop going faster than you ever thought possible? Well that's what it felt like fighting a boss and after defeating the boss you feel like you can take on anything, but you are always wrong, the boss will always be stronger.

After defeating the Asylum Demon, you have to head to a cliff with a nest where a giant crow snatches you from the cliff to bring you to the Fire Link Shrine of Lordran.

Now thats all I’m going to tell you and nothing more because if I told you more I would make your experience of Dark Souls less amazing and I want you to experience the game to its fullest. But anyways Dark Souls has changed my life entirely, after my whole play through the reaction of me beating the game made me feel accomplished but empty at the same time. It's almost like I haven't even scratched the surface of the game. For all the people who said video games aren't art I would make them play this game. There is so much lore to the game that you can turn the lore into an ocean. According to Gameskinny, “Lore is essential for the depth of any game, and failing in conveying a good background story can damage the title's quality & period”.

There is a secret message to the game that not all people know, When giving up in Dark Souls you go hollow and there is no going back, that's kinda like real life, and so that makes me not want to give up because giving up is no option, if you have a dream always follow it to the very end because the moment you give up thats the moment you let someone else win.

Laurentius Of The Great Swamp says

“Don’t you dare go hollow.¨


The author's comments:

This is a memoir about how Dark Souls changed me.