Grey's Anatomy | Teen Ink

Grey's Anatomy

June 13, 2018
By IsabellaConway BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
IsabellaConway BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Grey's Anatomy is a medical drama series which focuses on a group of doctors in Seattle. It’s first airing was March 27th, 2005. Now, thirteen years later, this show is still coming out with episodes that people continue to fall in love with. Grey’s Anatomy is 10th longest running scripted TV series in the United States with fourteen seasons and was the recipient of the 2007 Golden Globe Award for Best Drama Television Series and has been nominated for multiple Emmys. This show has about 8.9 million viewers as a new episode comes out every week.

Grey’s Anatomy follows a group of interns through their medical careers, beginning with there internships until they are attendings. The original group of interns that become the main characters in the first few seasons are Meredith Grey, Alex Karev, Izzie Stevens, Christina Yang, and George OMalley. However, not all of these characters have remained in the show. The last two standing that have been a part of the show to date are Meredith Grey and Alex Karev. Meredith Grey is the daughter of a famous surgeon and goes through hardship after hardship in this drama series.

Most of the viewers of Grey's Anatomy’s favorite relationship is Meredith Grey and Derek Shepherd. Derek is Meredith’s boss at the beginning of the series but eventually they end up married with children, to viewers pleasure. This couple is known as Merder and they stay together throughout the whole show, get married, and have three children. Sadly, Derek Shepherd gets killed off of the series at the end of season 11. This death was devastating for loyal Grey’s fans, including myself. Many of the main characters of the show had died in previous seasons but the death of Derek Shepherd was truly heartbreaking. Many watchers wondered why they would kill off such an important character. Grey's Anatomy lost 800,00 viewers and were down by 7% after beloved Mcdreamy was killed off the show.

The big question that all Grey’s fans want to know is: when is this show coming to an end? Supposedly, Grey’s Anatomy has been renewed for a fifteenth season, but after that there is no telling when this show may end. Characters such as Arizona Robbins and April Kepner are supposedly leaving the show this season, which can only mean that the end is near. Ellen Pompeo has always said, “We will take it one season at a time”, and Grey’s Anatomy producer Shonda Rhimes, continues to tell fans of the show, “The show will continue for as long as Ellen Pompeo wants to do it.” The end of Grey’s Anatomy lies in the hands of the main character, Meredith Grey, who is one of the few characters who had been on every episode of the show since the beginning. All Grey's fans dread the end of this ongoing show and hope that it will never end.