13 Reasons Why | Teen Ink

13 Reasons Why

By gabrielle0143 BRONZE, Milk River, Alberta
gabrielle0143 BRONZE, Milk River, Alberta

“You can’t stop the future, you can’t rewind the past, the only way to learn the secret… is to press play.” Thirteen Reasons Why is a show about Hannah Baker who took her own life. Clay Jensen is a main character in the show who receives a package at his door step, this package includes 7 tapes and a map that Hannah left to explain why she took her own life. Each tape has two sides—the tapes are about the people who drove Hannah to kill herself. The tapes are passed along through the 13 people who are on the tapes, starting off with Justin Foley and Jessica Davis. Hannah left the tapes first with her friend Tony who is in charge of making sure they go through all of the people on the tapes.

We hear the tapes as Clay hears the tapes, Clay has a difficult time comprehending Hannah’s tapes and what all happened to her. Tony follows Clay around and “spies” on him because that’s what Hannah wanted, she wanted Tony to keep and eye on the people who received the tapes to make sure they listened to them all.
I personally think this show is great because is shows that how by saying or doing the wrong things you could end someone’s life. It shows sexual activity that isn’t really appropriate for all audiences, although it could give off the wrong idea sometimes, it also shows Hannah killing herself and I think it shouldn’t have showed that because some people who are having suicidal thoughts might think, “Oh, now I know how to end my life.” and it could end badly. But that isn’t the message 13 Reasons Why is trying to give. It wants people to stop bullying, it wants people to realize that what they say has an impact on a person’s life.

I honestly highly recommend this show, but if you aren’t comfortable with watching some of the scenes (Hannah’s death and sexual activity) I still recommend watching the show but maybe skipping those parts. Thirteen Reasons Why teaches a good lesson, there’s thousands of kids out there that might feel the same way as Hannah did in this show, and it could maybe help those kids in my opinion. Hannah just stopped caring in the end, she didn’t think anyone cared about her either, but it shows that people still did care about her and love her. So once again I recommend this show if you’re interested in this kind of show, its suspenseful and I watched it in an entire day, and have watched it maybe 6 times. There’s always more stuff to figure out as you watch it and I’m hoping that if you do decide to watch it, you will like it as much as I did.