Rick and Morty | Teen Ink

Rick and Morty

April 28, 2017
By Anonymous

Rick and Morty is an Adult Swim cartoon debuting in, December of 2013. The show was created by Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland. The show was compared to many of the other adult shows at the time such as Family Guy, Futurama, and Simpsons. But the truth is it is a very stand alone cartoon of it’s own. The shows creators aren’t new to TV world, Roiland is a voice actor and have pitched other animated show pilots. Harmon is the created of the show, Community. The show has many of the good aspects of shows like South Park and Futurama, so if you enjoy those shows, Rick and Morty is an already win. For those who aren’t such a fan of the dark and crude humor there are other reasons why Rick and Morty is above average of the other “adult cartoons”.
 
For starters the show follows the title named character, Rick and Morty. Rick is the grandfather of Morty. This is to parody another science comedy duo of Doc and Marty of Back To The Future. Rick being the Doc of the two, Rick is one of those loveable jerk characters who cares for no one but himself. Morty being Marty of the group of course, Morty is first seen as the typical nervous 14 year old teenager. While there are many other lovable characters, there is the rest of Morty’s family, his mother Beth which is Rick’s daughter. Jerry, which is Morty’s father, who is typically the family punching bag ever since Rick’s return back into the family. Morty’s older sister, Summer. There are many other side characters in the show that feel more than just side characters. Many have gained to be fans favorites despite being in one or two episodes.

There have only been 22 episodes of the show, and yet the popularity is gaining more and more attention in people. There is already a demand in merchandise, tons of shirts and even dolls. It seemed to just explode. The first episode of season three appeared on April first 2017. It was a surprise to many fans since the show has been on hiatus for such a long time, and of course the date typically for being jokes. The season premier played on loop until 12 AM on Adult Swim.

Rick and Morty is a show that stands on it’s own and isn’t too similar to Family Guy and South Park, in many cases Rick and Morty is the better show. While they are similar Rick and Morty is the superior show in adult cartoons category. Reasons such as the characters. Unlike most adult shows, Rick and Morty’s characters feel more flushed out and real than others. Rick isn’t just a one dimensional character there are episodes where we empathise with Rick despite his horrible behavior. As mentioned before, at first Morty seems like the typical cowardly 14 year old sidekick but in recent episodes, Morty has shown a confidence boost and has progressively taken more control. There is a gradual growth in characters just in two seasons.

Besides fleshed out characters, Rick and Morty’s humor can appeal to more than one audience. Imagine this show as one big boiling pot of all different types of humor in one, some jokes may be a miss to others while it’s a hit for others. The show doesn’t rely on shock humor like most modern seasons of Family Guy or South Park. While in most of those types of shows all humor is either shockingly gross or being offensive for the sake of being offensive. While there is nothing wrong with those types of humor it can get really old really fast. Rick and Morty has shockingly gross humor and offensive humor but writers of the show say their goal isn’t to offend people it’s to make something funny that may happen to be offensive and gross.  Rick and Morty may not be a great family friendly show but is definitely worth to look at. It could be the show that redefines what a good adult or typical cartoon should be like.


The author's comments:

Rick and Morty is a great show and I feel it deserves more attention!