Gilmore Girls | Teen Ink

Gilmore Girls

By eriley18 BRONZE, Oak Park, Illinois
eriley18 BRONZE, Oak Park, Illinois

As a huge Gilmore Girls fan, and the fact that it was one of my favorite shows growing up, so of course I was ecstatic to hear there was going to be a Netflix revival coming out the day after Thanksgiving called A Year in the Life. It would be four one-hour episodes with each episode being named after a season, Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall. The Gilmore Girls was a series that ran on cable tv from 2000-2007 and was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, and now all the seasons are available on Netflix.

When the day finally came and A Year in the Life was on Netflix, I sat down with my Thanksgiving leftovers and a cup of coffee (which for those who watch the show, know is very appropriate) and I then began to watch. Many people just like me also waited in anticipation for the Gilmore Girls revival, but was it worthy of all the hype? Yes, it definitely was. The revival might not have executed everything perfectly, but being able see all your favorite characters grown up and all together again in the beloved town of Stars Hollow will warm your heart.

The aspect I enjoyed the most about the revival was that almost all the characters and every townsperson was in the show, but it was disappointing that the show’s beloved Chef, “Sookie” (Melissa McCarthy) was only featured in one episode out of the four. The revival did do a very good job being up to date with pop culture references, considering their last episode aired nine years ago. They managed to be up to date, while still being true to the character’s personality at the same time. If I had to improve one scene of the revival, it would be in episode 3, “Summer.” The episode opens with mother and daughter (Lorelai and Rory) lounging by their public pool. Then, both characters continue to body shame more than one person at the pool, and even go to the lengths of nicknaming one of the men, “Back Fat Pat.” The Gilmore Girls series had always done a good job sending positive messages to their viewers, so to see this was a major disappointment. I found this scene entirely unnecessary and not like the characters at all, to be so rude to someone for no apparent reason. Besides that minor disappointment, overall I was greatly satisfied with the revival and it was definitely worth the watch. I do suggest watching Gilmore Girls, or at least a couple episodes of the regular series, so you can better appreciate and enjoy A Year in The Life.

Fans of the show hoped for all their questions to be answered in the revival like, Which boyfriend was Rory going to end up with? Or What will the final words of the show be? Sadly, we weren’t given many concrete answers or the closure we deserve, when the show ends in a cliffhanger, leaving all its fans in shock. This also led people to question whether there would be more episodes made, to explain to us what the heck they just left us with! A lot of times shows have proved to us that revivals are bad ideas 99% of the time, but Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life proved they were that 1%.  So go sign in to your Netflix account, or borrow your friend’s password, because our favorite members of Stars Hollow have returned, and you can’t afford to miss it!

Gilmore Girls was my favorite show growing up and means a lot to me, which is why I chose to review their revival.