Bones | Teen Ink

Bones

By bumblebeezo PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
bumblebeezo PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney

From serial killers and cannibals to conspiracies and homicides, the crime fighting duo Bones and Booth have seen it all. The hit FOX series, Bones, has been shocking fans since its thrilling pilot aired in 2005. This show is sure to get your heart racing with murder of every sort, relationship drama, and plot twists that you never saw coming.

Bones’ real name is Temperance Brennan and she is portrayed by the highly talented Emily Deschanel. The nickname was given to the character by her partner in the FBI, Seeley Booth (David Boreanaz). Bones was given her nickname because she is an anthropologist at the Jeffersonian Institute. The Jeffersonians team works together to solve murders, kidnappings, and even uncover conspiracies within their own lives. The tight-knit team includes Angela Montenegro (Michaela Conlin), the computer whiz who uses the “Angelatron” to create simulations of crimes. Another member is Jack Hodgins (TJ Thyne), also known as “Bug Guy.” He can estimate time of death based on insects and animals found in, on, or around the body. Hodgins also uses equipment such as the mass spectrometer to find particulates like microscopic fibers. The boss, Camille Saroyan (Tamara Taylor), does not join the show until season 2 but makes an instant connection with everyone. She performs autopsies and deals with the gutsy part of the crime. 

In the first four seasons, Dr. Brennan only has one intern. Interns are people who apply to a work-study program and get to work alongside Brennan and assist in solving the crime. Brennan’s first intern, Zack Addy (Eric Millegan), leaves the show after the fourth season and only returns at the end of season 11. The interns each have their own personality and add to the plot of each episode. In the fourth season an FBI psychologist named Dr. Lance Sweets (John Francis Daley) joins the cast of characters. He picks at everyone’s personal and professional life and helps the characters work through their struggles.

Most episodes start with the discovery of a body, often found in an unexpected place, like inside an industrialized washing machine. Then cameras cut to Booth and Bones getting the call about the murder. Some episodes are continuations, for a serial killer striking again. The employees at the Jeffersonian create simulations, examine particulates, and perform autopsies so they can find the killer. Brennan and Booth usually bring suspects in for questioning. The episodes are full of action on and off the field. There are humorous scenes and hilarious lines that really bring the show to life.

Bones has interesting storylines that can be hard to follow at times, but capture your interest nonetheless. The show will push and pull on your emotions and leave you questioning whether you should cry or laugh. It is unlike any other crime show you've ever seen. Bones is one of the most binge-worthy shows ever. It will leave you wondering what happens next, and wanting even more.