Parks and Recreation | Teen Ink

Parks and Recreation

By alyssasch BRONZE, Amherst, New York
alyssasch BRONZE, Amherst, New York

Galentine’s Day
Set your calendars for February 13  for the annual celebration of Galentine’s Day! Galentine’s Day is Leslie Knope’s designated day to celebrate her friends, specifically the beloved Ann Perkins, with breakfast food, without the presence of men. Leslie also recognizes that Galentine’s Day can be celebrated any time women get together to celebrate each other.

The friendship between Leslie and Ann is developed throughout the series following Ann attending  a town meeting to complain about the ominous pit next to her house. Their friendship grew from this situation into Leslie Knope referring to Ann by oddly descriptive, animal related, nicknames. Some of the most illustrative nicknames include: “Ann, you cunning, pliable, chestnut-haired sunfish,” “Ann, you poetic, noble land-mermaid,” You’re Ann Perkins! Sperm that is worthy of your perfect eggs does not grow on trees,” and “Oh, Ann, you rule-breaking moth.” I’m sure the writers had a field day coming up with these.

Leslie and Ann’s friendship continues to grow as Ann begins working in close proximity to Leslie in the government. Ann takes up a position in the  health services department while Leslie maintains her position in the parks department. The two talk between meetings and spend their lunches together talking about the day to day drama that occurs whether it be what happens in Leslie’s office with Tom or the various men that show their bumps and scars to Ann because they happen to know she is a nurse.

Parks and Recreation portrays a friendship between two women in a healthy way. Leslie and Ann are not portrayed to be petty and catty if they fight, but they argue in a way that allows for resolution and the friendship and the show to continue positively.  Furthermore, the women do not always fight over men, they fight over real issues, like Leslie forcing her interests onto Ann without asking. The fights revolving around men are minor and are a minority. It sets the standard for other shows and the standard for how women can interact with each other. Many similar comedic shows portray toxic friendships between two women; 30 Rock accepts the toxic friendship between two female characters: Jenna and Liz.

The protagonist, Liz, is always contempt with vain behavior, believing that she is above caring about her looks. However, Jenna is an actress and must care about her looks, as she is always in the spotlight. Continually, Liz isn’t there for Jenna in a supportive manner when Jenna is facing problems. Liz, in turn, complains about the problems facing Jenna, believing that they are superficial, blaming it again on her fame. The friendship is not necessarily toxic, but it is not supportive and healthy for either person.

In season two of Parks and Rec, Ann supports Leslie with her deep-rooted fear of first dates by bringing her on a crash course first date, forcing her to see that all of her anxieties were improbable and unlikely to come true. Some of the more memorable ‘anxieties’ that Leslie had included: being late (only to blame it on her imaginary niece “Torple Knope”) or  forgetting the word ‘bathroom’ (she does, hysterically calling it the ‘wiz palace’, a term that continues through the series). This episode highlights that Ann is there for Leslie just as Leslie is there for Ann. Prior to this episode, it the friendship had been Leslie’s, one-sided, mission to befriend Ann, and fix the pit next to her house by all means possible. The rest of the show presents a cohesive friendship with equal input on both sides.

Ann and Leslie are able to support each other whether it be through Leslie’s creative nicknames, or Ann’s ability to get Leslie in a better state of mind, the two make each other better people. The relationship between the two women is much alike a Galentine’s day celebration; Leslie can’t go without waffles and Ann for long.

This article discusses the friendship between Leslie Knope and Ann Perkins on the show Parks and Recreation.