Angel Beats! | Teen Ink

Angel Beats!

February 18, 2016
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


It's been a while since I've done this kind of review. Perhaps I should try to make anime reviews a thing. Why not? To start off this anime review series of sorts, let's begin with more of an emotional one of sorts.

Angel Beats is a twelve-episode long anime that mostly takes place in an afterlife of sorts that is described more like a video game. All the main characters are essentially teens who have died one without intention, and two, mostly from some sort of accident and alot of the characters' backstories are revealed as the series goes on. A spoiler warning is needed here: For me some of the saddest backstories come from Yui, Otonashi and Yuri. Yui died as she was paralyzed and that is told to help explain why in one episode she wants to try all this different things outside of being in a band, as we've seen prior. Otanashi I don't remember much but I do remember he always tried to help his little sister who was progressively and severely ill. Yuri had to try to protect her younger siblings and failed because robbers broke in and set off a fire that pressumeably burned down the rest of the house. It's because of that moment that she wanted to try to take charge. There are of course villains here, namely whoever is trying to "play God," and Yuri never seemed to like a certain character called Angel, where I assume some of the name comes from. Although her position was dropped and given to someone else who then became a villain in the series for a time.

The main story that is present, at least from what I can see, is that everyone who's on Yuri's side tries to take down whatever force of evil comes after them and if they fail, they will likely get obliterated, which is this anime's way of saying a character is dead, at least that's how I like to think of it. Meanwhile, they are also goofing around and having fun, particularly anyone who is already a very funny and happy-ish character, such as Yui, TK, and Yui's love interest Hinata. On top of that, it also has argueably one of the most popular and saddest endings ever. I won't spoil this however, you can watch it yourself if you want, but to put it simply, I almost cried at that scene and was just about borderlining that. I'm sure it could have people some people go into a river of tears, it is very capable of that, it is that sad. I was able to sypathize with alot of them pretty well too. There's also alot of funny moments in here as well, in fact, I even remember Yui calling Hinata a senpai at some point in the anime and that gave me a great laugh, despite how trival of a moment that probably was. For me, the humorous parts are a great contrast to the ball-your-eyes-out depressing parts which is a good thing especially when it comes to the big stuff like someones personal backstory, when you think everyone is gonna die, that happened, and the ending just to name a few.

In terms of flaws, there are some, perhaps they might have made some of the characters a little too much of one side, like Yui. There were also some moments I thought were probably supposed to be happy but for me came off as the total opposite, but maybe that's just how I saw it personally and less of a flaw. Oh and Yui also made a joke about her "assets" once and baffeled me.

I would give it a go if you like whiplashing emotions in an anime or if want something short, as I mentioned, it's only twelve episodes long.


The author's comments:

My first anime review it seems. Tell me what you guys think of it. I kind of wish I could do more stuff here in recent times. Maybe I burned myself up over the summer of last year or something and that's why you're not seeing all that much on here anymore.

 

Since I finished this one sround the same time as Angel Beats!, I think my next anime review will be Another.