Black Mirror | Teen Ink

Black Mirror MAG

By SaraElizabeth PLATINUM, St. Charles, Missouri
SaraElizabeth PLATINUM, St. Charles, Missouri

"Geniune poetry can communicate before it is understood"

Every Netflix fan can relate to tediously trudging through perpetual recommendations, searching for the next source of a weekend binge. Occasionally, these explorations bring us to categories we never imagined ourselves considering, which is how I encountered “Black Mirror.”

With two seasons and seven episodes thus far, this British series works in a similar manner to “The Twilight Zone,” with one unique story per segment. What makes this show incredibly unique, however, is not its divided stories, but rather their universal theme of technology gone awry.

“Black Mirror” poetically investigates the dark side of man, creating fictional dystopias in which loved ones are reincarnated as droids, lives are recorded in memory implants, and CGI figures spark the rise of dictatorships.

Each episode, though occasionally drudging mid-story, captivates the minds of viewers, creating an uncomfortable yet undeniable allure. The chilling plots satirically mock the overwhelming powers of technology, drawing a parallel to the placement of such gadgets in modern society and giving the series a disturbing connection to the real world.

Beneath the more obvious theme of the ramifications of technology, “Black Mirror” portrays the abundant power that technology holds over man and its capability to carry humanity’s emotions through a maze of ignorant highs, pitiful lows, and shameful dead ends.

Although the series is set on the other side of the globe, the power of each story is not diluted for its viewers in the United States – or any country encompassed by the capabilities of technology.

For those currently struggling to find a new binge-worthy show, search no further. “Black Mirror”s stories contain powerful messages perfectly suited for those who find themselves drifting into a treacherous, high-tech future.