Aldnoah. Zero | Teen Ink

Aldnoah. Zero

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

Let me set the scene for you.  In 1972, ancient alien technology was found on the moon, making it not only possible to travel to Mars, but to inhabit it as well, leading the the rise of an empire that laid claim to the technology, the Vers Empire, who refused to associate or be equal with the Terrans (Earth-born humans).  By 1999, the Vers Empire had declared war on Earth, a war that has raged for over twenty years, the coals being fanned non-stop.  But those coals are bound to become lit again, and so our story starts. 

Welcome to the world of Aldnoah. Zero, an anime series (that ran from July 2014 to March 2015, consisting of 24 episodes,12 episodes a season) that was accompanied by the manga series of a like name (season 1: written by Olympus Knights, illustrated by Pinakes, consisting of 4 volumes, running from 2014-2015; season 2: written by Olympus Knights, illustrated by Mahi Fuyube, consisting of 2 volumes, running from 2015-present 2016; variation Aldnoah. Zero Gaiden: Trin Gemini: written by Kiyokazu Satake, illustrated by Houbunsha, consisting of 2 volumes, running from 2014-present 2016).  The anime, categorized as action, mecha (robotic fighting weapons), and romance, was an amazing work that was just as amazing to watch!

The plot follows the stories of two “separate” races and a select few within.  On the martian side, the stories of Princess Royal Asseylum Vers Allusia (a girl who has always dreamed of Earth and peace with its people), Slain Troyard (a martian military man with close ties to the royal princess), and some other minor characters including martian generals and citizens.  On the Terran side (the side of Earth-born humans), the story follows Inaho Kaizuka (a military prodigy) and his friends, along with his military companions.  Inaho (Noa) is an odd boy with an almost clinical sense of knowledge and way of expressing himself seems to possibly be the only one who can help stop the martian invasion that occurs after the failed assassination of the princess.  The plot is winding adventure of action, friendship, and romance.

I personally loved the series and can’t wait to read the manga series!  It’s plot was not “skin-deep” and had a deeper story to tell than just what is happening with its “Romeo” and “Juliet.”  I believe that it will not only fulfil action, mecha, and romance fans, but Sci-Fi lovers as well, which means it also carries a message for the future of our species.  It was truly amazing and I highly recommend it!  If you are looking to stream the series, Netflix has the first season available in both dub and original Japanese with subtitles (both are very good), and the app “Anime Hub” for Windows products has both seasons of the show (the second season is only available with subtitles).  If you are looking to buy the series, it is available for purchase on Amazon, although it is more expensive than most series (the price differs depending on what version) and does not come in a complete series edition.  I really enjoyed the series and believe that almost anyone would love it too!