Steven Universe | Teen Ink

Steven Universe

November 28, 2015
By teadragons GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
teadragons GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Set in the seemingly unremarkable Beach City, Steven Universe is a compelling animated cartoon about the life of its namesake. The entire show is centered around extraterrestrial beings called Gems, who each have their own magical abilities and weapons. Steven and the Crystal Gems must work together to defeat adversaries, ranging from the fierce Centipeedle Mother to fighting other Gems like themselves. The show has unique concepts, interesting and dynamic characters, amazing voice actors, and positive representation of minority groups. Created by Rebecca Sugar, Cartoon Network’s first female show creator, the ongoing series is a fan favorite among teens as well as members of all other age groups.


The Crystal Gems are a group of intergalactic warriors who must protect the Earth from monsters and other Gems alike. They consist of Garnet (Estelle), the stoic leader; Amethyst (Michaela Dietz), a stubborn but fun-loving friend; Pearl (Deedee Magno), an elegant teacher and tactician of the team; and of course, Steven (Zach Callison), a cheerful half-Gem and half-human boy. The Gems take humanoid forms and are characterized by their gemstones, from which their skin color and general color palette are based. Steven is an exception to this due to his half-human heritage, which makes him look human without losing his Gem powers. The Gems and their backstories are integrated throughout the episodes, some giving bits of relevant information and others completely dedicated to exploring their history. The show does an excellent job of alternating between simple standalone episodes and more complex ones that advance its overall plot. Foreign but intriguing notions are also introduced, such as the concept of Gem fusion: two or more Gems literally "fuse" together, creating a separate entity. These designs are what distinguish this show from others of its kind. There is a surreal quality to the plot since it encompasses aspects of our reality while introducing completely new ideas.
The overlying plot of the show is complex but made easily understandable through the way the information is presented to the viewer. Over time, it is revealed that the Crystal Gems are outcasts from Homeworld, a place where all Gems are assigned specific roles and contribute to a rigid hierarchy. Defying the roles they were given from creation, the Crystal Gems rebelled, traveling to and fighting for Earth instead. They ended up settling in Beach City, a quaint but eccentric town where a majority of the episodes take place. Unlike many cartoons that have minimal expository episodes, the style in which this backstory is provided is spread over many of them and explained by different protagonists, keeping the viewer hooked.
Another one of the show’s many great qualities is the variety of characters’ personalities and their unique conflicts. Unlike many other cartoons, Steven Universe focuses on more than just the main protagonists. Side characters each have at least one episode dedicated to them that explore the struggles they face. The conflicts of each character are realistic, allowing all kinds of viewers to relate to them. For example, Amethyst may seem like a obdurate and carefree figure who does not take things seriously. However, in the episode "On the Run," another side of Amethyst is shown. She is frustrated and hurt by Pearl’s comments about the place where she was created and shows that she isn’t always the strong and stubborn person that she comes off as. Overall, the characters really bring the show to life by contributing their own set of experiences and creating a wonderful, diverse fusion of stories.


Not only does Steven Universe have an amazing storyline and brilliantly written character personalities, it also features some of the best animation, artwork, and soundtrack of modern cartoons. The animation is extremely fluid, each scene transitioning well into the next. The artwork and character designs are simple yet well thought-out, capturing their personality in their outfits alone. My personal favorite is Pearl’s outfit, which features an elegant style that strings together an array of pastel colors. The soundtrack also fits seamlessly with each setting, ranging from the catchy and melodious intro to slow, relaxing songs like “What Can I Do For You.” The voice actors portray their respective roles extremely well by capturing prominent features and flaws. Steven Universe has been nominated for several well-deserved awards, including an Annie Award for Outstanding Achievement in Production Design in a Television Series and a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Short-Format Animated Program.


For a modern cartoon, Steven Universe has extremely accurate representation of minority groups and features a lot of diversity in its characters and their personalities. Rebecca Sugar (2014) stated in a Reddit post where fans asked questions, “Steven is the first and only male Gem, because he is half human! Technically, there are no female Gems! There are only Gems!” This implies that Gems are a nonbinary gender who are comfortable with their identity. The cast also varies in their body types, ranging from Steven’s bulkier and stocky build to Pearl’s skinnier, more graceful form. None of the characters are teased for their body types; instead, they are respected regardless of their appearance. The cartoon also has LGBQTA+ representation, such as Ruby and Sapphire’s relationship with each other; it is not a “typical” heterosexual romance. Overall, the show features all kinds of accurate portrayals and is one of the first cartoons to openly do so.


Steven Universe is one of the most remarkable and progressive shows of today, with an interesting plot, realistic characters, brilliant art and animation, and amazing voice actors to tie it all together. The cartoon does a great job integrating important ideas and representation with a fun, childish theme. Whether you’re a fan of fast-paced action cartoons or funny slice-of-life ones, Steven Universe is a show for everyone.