Full House | Teen Ink

Full House

November 24, 2015
By nicolezef GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
nicolezef GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Family shows today are recognized as funny, nostalgic, and simply overwhelming in number. The vast selection can be overwhelming for viewers and can make choosing a show quite difficult. Luckily, the ‘80s sitcom, Full House, is there to make that decision much easier. Set in the hilly city of San Francisco, the show certainly lives up to its name, along with just the right amount of humor and realism to create the quintessential T.V. family. 
     

The storyline is quite simple, yet entertaining enough to keep the audience anticipating reruns of the show on nick@nite since its debut in 1987. Danny Tanner (Bob Saget), a widower, is faced with the challenge of raising his three daughters, D.J. (Candace Cameron Bure), Stephanie (Jodie Sweetin), and Michelle (Mary-Kate/Ashley Olsen). He calls his brother-in-law, Jesse Katsopolis (John Stamos), and a very close friend, Joey Gladstone (Dave Coulier) for help. If that doesn't seem like a house full enough, try adding their dog, Comet, Jesse's wife, Rebecca Katsopolis (Lori Loughlin), and their twin baby boys, Nicky and Alex (Blake and Dylan Tuomy-Wilhoit). In the words of Uncle Jesse, "Have mercy!"
     

Despite what seems like a blur of people in the Tanner home, each individual member of the cast plays a crucial role in contributing to the overall effect of the show. D.J. Tanner, the eldest of the Tanner girls, plays the big sister everyone wishes for. She is a straight-A student and shows sensitivity toward her siblings. Stephanie, the middle child and the most talkative of all, is also a good student and portrays the typical elementary student making the transition to junior high. Michelle, the youngest, looks up to her older sisters, and feels excluded when they hang out without her. She livens the show with her outgoing and adorable personality, as well as gets away with uttering phrases like, “You’re in big trouble, mister!” Danny Tanner, the father of the three, is the “uncool dad” that everybody knows and loves, as well as the show’s clean freak, who goes by the motto, “Clean is good, dirt is bad.” Jesse, unlike Danny, satisfies the kids’ definition of “cool” and is obsessed with Elvis, motorcycles, and most importantly, his hair. Joey Gladstone entertains the kids with his own stand-up comedian acts which he occasionally performs professionally. He regularly takes care of the girls, driving them to appointments and such.
     

The cleverly developed cast along with creator and writer Jeff Franklin’s humor combine to produce a show that suits all ages and one that makes everyone laugh. A character such as Kimmy Gibbler (Andrea Barber), D.J.'s best friend since she moved next door, is the epitome of the show’s polished comedic style. For example, in episode 22 of season 8, Jesse finds himself struggling to find quiet because of Kimmy loudly playing the bagpipes. He asked her what in the world she was doing and she explains in a terrible Scottish accent that she is practicing for a festival next week. When Jesse insults her phony accent, she retorts with, “I didn’t say I was practicing my accent. Don’t get your kilt in a knot, McGreasy.”
     

The show’s success is proven by its several wins and nominations. It was once nominated for the Kids’ Choice Awards, for favorite animal star, and Candace Cameron Bure won the Kids’ Choice Award for favorite television actress. Stars of the outstanding show were nominated every year from 1988 to 1995 for Young Artist Awards with 6 wins.
     

For those of us craving more Tanner and who may only begin watching next year, a sequel called Fuller House is set to premiere as a Netflix original in 2016. It will concentrate on the life of the now-grown D.J., who, like her father, finds herself widowed, with two children and pregnant with a third. She seeks the help of her sister, Stephanie, and her best friend Kimmy. Want in on D.J.’s story? Although Mary Kate and Ashley may not be returning to star in the new series, Michelle would say, “You got it, dude!”
     

Before watching the sequel, however, the go-to show is definitely the remarkable original. Full House always makes me wish to be a part of the Tanner family. Although some of the problems seem to be solved rather quickly, as if to make life seem easy, Full House is about a family that sticks together despite their differences. Overall an outstanding show, Full House warms my heart with episodes that make me laugh, cry, and do everything in between.