Pretty Little Liars | Teen Ink

Pretty Little Liars MAG

By x3reece SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
x3reece SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

The sky is pitch black, and you’re lost in the woods. You hear the faint sound of a twig snapping, making the hair on your neck stand up. Instantly your hand flies to your mouth to mute your heavy breathing. Squinting, you see out a blonde in a scarlet red trench coat who looks exactly like your deceased best friend. You barely escape as she runs toward you with a knife. This is the everyday life of four best friends in the television show “Pretty Little Liars.” This drama, mystery, and thriller show is based on Sara Shepard’s book series.
The show begins with the disappearance of the leader of the group, Alison Dilaurentis. She is believed to have been tormented by an anonymous person known as “A.” During a sleepover at the end of summer vacation, she goes missing and theories arise. This causes the remaining friends to drift apart until a year after Alison’s disappearance. Suddenly A is everywhere, from threats in letters to dead body parts in packages. The plot is unpredictable, and no one is who they seem to be. One minute you believe a dead girl is A, and the next, you believe it’s the English teacher. “Pretty Little Liars” is an amazing show because of its originality and the mixed feelings you get watching it. Just don’t get too attached to any of the characters.
The cast members fit the roles and portray the characters well. Lucy Hale plays Aria Montgomery, the mysterious girl who is small in size but has the strength of a lion when she is defending the ones she cares about. Shay Mitchell plays Emily Fields, who is a talented swimmer. Hanna Marin is a shopaholic who is almost always in heels, though she is portrayed by Ashley Benson, a relaxed actor who prefers sneakers and sweatpants off set. Troian Bellisario plays Spencer Hastings, a teenager with a family that expects her to be an overachiever and the best at everything. The youngest actor, Sasha Pieterse, plays Alison Dilaurentis, who is a manipulative liar.
The script is both witty and frightening. For example, when Hannah is grounded for sneaking out and her mom takes away her phone, she says, “I can’t go around without a phone. That’s like going around without a brain.” The show is filled with hilarious quotes but also maintains a bone-chilling mood. The messages that A sends the girls are clever and terrifying. Whoever A is, they know the most personal information about the characters and use it against them.
“Pretty Little Liars” will make you tremble every time you see someone in a dark hoodie or a red trench coat. Just remember, A isn’t real – or is it?