Futurama | Teen Ink

Futurama

November 22, 2015
By Skyler.rawr SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Skyler.rawr SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave the world wondering how you did it".


 Imagine being a delivery person, and you have to deliver pizza to a lab. When you arrive, the door is wide open, and you don’t hear a sound. By accident, you stumble into a tube, which locks shut as soon as you get in it. When you get out of the tube, a millennium has passed. That's what happened to the main character, Fry, in Futurama, an animated science-fiction series.
   

 Created by Matt Groening, the same writer of The Simpsons, Futurama is a TV-14 rated show that ran for 10 seasons nicely-written comedy lines. According to IMDb, after meeting Leela and Bender, Fry meets his great nephew named Hubert J. Farnsworth. Fry begins to work for “Farnsworth’s Planet Express Delivery Service,” which he gets mad about in the first episode since he’s delivering for a living again. Throughout the seasons, the crew travels through outer space, distributing packages and facing problems along the way.
   

 “Farnsworth’s Planet Express Delivery Service” includes Fry, Bender, Leela, and Farnsworth (who are the main characters). Fry (played by Billy West), is a 25-year old who acts like a teenager. His crush on Leela makes viewers very sympathetic to him. However, that changes near the end of the series. His best friend Bender (played by John DiMaggio), is a robot who "runs on alcohol." He’s one of the most comedic characters in the show, and his punchlines are inappropriate yet funny. Leela (played by Katey Sagal) is a purple-haired, one-eyed girl who is mainly serious and gets annoyed when Bender and Fry don't cooperate. She gets frustrated during the series because "nobody loves a one-eyed freak". The last main character is Farnsworth (also played by Billy West), who is the "oldest" out of the group. He's famous for his line "Good news, everyone", and sometimes cries over not being a good scientist. 
     

There are many small unique details that viewers can notice. For example, the title credits are different every time, such as a mini cartoon being displayed. I think that's really cool because the details change depending on the episode.  One of my favorite episodes would have to be Season 2, Episode 1, titled A Flight To Remember. It recreates The Titanic, and it shows how robots can have feelings for other people/things. Fry also has to deal with pretending to be Amy’s boyfriend to impress her parents, while trying to be Leela’s boyfriend to make the sure the captain doesn’t flirt with her.
   

 With nominations for prime time Emmy awards and Annie awards nine times and four wins, this show gives funny allusions, such as the episode in season eight “Game of Tones.” Even though this show can be compared to The Simpsons, this animated cartoon has its unique characteristics that differentiates the two sitcoms. Good news everyone, Futurama is a hilarious sitcom, so be sure you make a delivery to your nearest television.