Attack on Titan | Teen Ink

Attack on Titan

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

Giant humanoid monsters have invaded, and they are coming for us!

Attack on Titan (AoT) is a popular anime series based on the similarly named manga series by Hajime Isayama (written originally in 2009 and continues to be released, 17 volumes), and is well worth the time it takes to watch it!  It is bloody and is categorized as dark fantasy, but for those over 12 (the minimum age I would say is appropriate), it is a great watch!  With 25 episodes and an OVA (there is also a live action film, but I don’t suggest watching it because it isn’t high quality and was very disappointing to me as a fan), the series is well made and sticks to the plot of the original manga series very well.

The show follows the life of young Eren Yeager as he struggles through the harsh reality that humanity has come to know (which would be dealing with gigantic, bloodthirsty, man-eating titans that look like gigantic humans with a huge problem to match).  As he suffers tragedy after tragedy life just seems to get harder, but maybe he is the answer to making things easier…  You just have to watch to figure that one out!

I highly recommend watching this series as it was extremely interesting with great characters, animations, and plot, but would advise that you are prepared for some gory scenes and intense language and situations.  If you are interested in finding this series, Netflix carries it (the subtitled version, not the dubbed, but I highly recommend you watch the subtitled version instead… I guess it’s more authentic that way) for free, and if you are interested in buying it, Amazon sells it for a wide range of prices (mostly because there are different formats and the dubbed version tends to cost a bit more).  For anyone in the anime or manga community, it is a great watch!