Arrow | Teen Ink

Arrow

March 6, 2015
By Mr.Green BRONZE, Mansfield, Massachusetts
Mr.Green BRONZE, Mansfield, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Do you like movies about superheroes like the avengers?  Then you will love Arrow just as I have. Arrow (the show) was first aired in 2012. This review is going to focus on season one even though season 2 and 3 is out. In this review I will talk about the bases of the show, of how close the show is to the comics and my rating.


Arrow is a show based off the DC comic superhero series the Green Arrow. In the pilot episode of Arrow, the show starts off at an island and you see a rugged version of Oliver Queen(Steven Amell) who shoots an arrow across and island and lights a fire for a boat to save him from an island he has been on for 7 years. Arrow is not just an origin story of Oliver’s time on the island. The directors format Oliver’s time at the island in flash backs that Oliver has in present day. The show also shows his life in present time and what he does. In time Oliver at night becomes a superhero or vigilantly to protect his city from evil that comes to destroy it. By killing the people who do damage to his city


Now since this show was based off of a comic book I wondered how close it was to the actual comic book. If you have read the comics and you think you know what is happing next your wrong. Arrow’s Staff have changed the stories enough to make them hard to know what is coming next. The first change to the show is that they do not show any magic what so ever. Where in the comic’s magic plays a big role some times. Second, the Arrow comic series was made to be a version of batman where Oliver or the green arrow goes on a safari with his parents and could not kill a lion to defend his parents so the parents died. Where in the T.V show Oliver’s mother Moira Queen (Susanna Thompson) is alive and Oliver’s Dad dies in a Yacht crash with Oliver who survives and goes to the island. Third, in the comics Oliver is an only child, but in the TV show he has a sister named Thea Queen (Willa Holland). Forth, in the show Oliver calls Thea his sister Speedy which in the comics is the name of his sidekick Roy Harper (Colton Haynes). Fifth in the comics Oliver’s rival archer is Tommy Merlyn (Colin Donnell), but in the show the tommy is Oliver’s best friend and Tommy’s dad Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman) is the rival archer to the arrow. I love How the Arrow sticks close to the comics so that readers of the comics still get the feel of the same arrow. Yet not so close that the readers know what is going on.


I love the show and give it an 8.5/10 because I love action packed shows and with one of my favorite comic book super heroes. Sometimes the show can get a little confusing if you do not pay attention to detail though. I love How the Arrow sticks close to the comics so that readers of the comics still get the feel of the same arrow. But not so close that the readers know what is going on.