The Andy Griffith Show | Teen Ink

The Andy Griffith Show

By Kira Jacobson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Kira Jacobson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Opie was playing baseball with his friends one time and broke a window.  Andy was very disappointed in Opie and told him “son you’re going to have to pay for that.” This is close to something that I did. I just got big cucumbers from the garden and was giving them to the chickens. I was thinking “I can throw this like a football.”  When I finally tried, I ended up hitting a window and shatter it, but I didn’t have to pay for it. The Andy Griffith show is my favorite show because there is respect and love between everyone. In this show it is my favorite show because of how old it is, Barney Fife is my favorite character, and Andy Griffith is my second favorite character in this show.

The Andy Griffith show has been around since 1960. The first five seasons are in black and white. Having black and white in this show adds to the effect of characters and their moods. When I watch black and white TV shows, I feel like there isn’t anything else on. In Mayberry, everyone knows everyone, that is important to recognize in this show because Andy is respected by everyone. Yes that is how a sheriff should be but this is different respect it’s not just you have a badge and if you do something wrong you get thrown in jail. It is more I voted for you, you are the law and we respect you for that. Most of the time crime is slim in Mayberry, but once in a while there will be a few moonshiners or cow thieves. In one episode a man stole a cow. He was very smart about it, he put a man’s pair of shoes on her hooves and they thought it was a gang of three. Andy did figure out who it was before the inspector did. Once in a while Barney makes the crimes in Mayberry sound worse than they are and make too big a fuse; he will start talking and spreading rumors. Andy knows deep down that Barney means well and will do his best concerning the law. Andy is a proud figure in the town of Mayberry.
Andy is the main sheriff in town but when the city folks come to look over the jail Andy isn’t too concerned with what will happen to the jail. He thinks he is expecting of things before they end up happening. Like the time Andy was expecting a person to come and investigate the jail, he figured that it would be his buddy, Sam, and they would waste the day and go fishing instead, and he would give him full credit for having the jail up to code. Barney didn’t want Andy to lay back and start enjoying what he thought was coming to him. No Barney had different ideas of what was to happen of the jail. He wanted it clean, tidy, and have all the accessories out. In the end it turned out that it wasn’t Sam, it was someone else. The man was irritated by how the jail was kept. Doilies on the chairs and radios, pictures, and mirrors in the cells. Barney knew that this would happen and was disappointed with how things turned out with the inspector. When the inspector was in Mayberry there was some moonshiner and when Andy came to stop him the chief inspector came to stop him. Andy saves the day and started talking to Opie about what happened. Andy talks to Opie of how things go in the jail and teaches him life lessons about jail and crime. Opie ended up getting into a hassle with a bully at school. When Opie went fishing with Andy, Andy told him that tuf talk is just talk they don’t really mean what they say. When Opie understood what he was talking about he took it to heart. Opie got into a fight with a kid that was taking his lunch money. He knew that this fight would happen but he wanted Opie to understand how to stand on his own two feet. That is why Andy normally does teach Opie life lessons. Barney is Opie’s godfather and Andy’s best

friend.

Andy and Barney have been friends for years, when they were in school they became friends. Barney is the type of character that makes this show good. He plays his part excellent and makes the show fun. He widens his eyes to little things that irritate him. Barney sometimes over reacts to little things, like how well the jail has to be kept clean.  One time Barney was handling the prisoners. Andy didn’t think it was necessary to keep the prisoners any longer, but Barney had other ideas. Barney thought it was necessary to hold the prisoners even though there was only a few hours until their time us up. Barney went crazy when he came back to the jail house the prisoners had left. He went to Andy yelling. He is typically acting like a big shot. In one episode there were food sellers that wouldn’t move off the road. Then Andy went up to them and said that Barney is very stern with how he does stuff and when he taps his gun he was getting ready to draw. When Andy came to Barney and told him about the sellers. He didn’t want to go to them again because they are both bigger and stronger than him. When he went to them he started taping his gun they both started packing things away quickly. When he went back to the office he was talking Andy up about what he did to those sellers. When Barney was enjoying himself with Andy he is always a fun person and wants to help the people around him.

Andy Griffith is the main sheriff in Mayberry and people respect him for who he is and not someone he isn’t. Barney is the deputy sheriff he is funny and makes the show a memory. He is my favorite character because there is always a laugh for every episode. In some circumstances I am very similar to the characters. For instance when Opie broke the window and when I broke the window to our chicken coop. There are many times when Barney comes running into the courthouse screaming Andy, Andy we have a problem.