Doctor Who | Teen Ink

Doctor Who

By Spoodermanderp PLATINUM, Quezon City, Other
Spoodermanderp PLATINUM, Quezon City, Other

Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014

"Last Christmas" is an intriguing episode with great performances with a rather dark Christmas theme.

As the final special to wrap up Series 8 starts, it seemed like another mediocre Doctor Who episode. But as it progressed, it gained attention and mystery.

The concept for the episode is not the one you would expect compared to the past specials. It has a rather dark atmosphere (which the 12th doctor is known for) and the new monsters were terrifying than ever.

The episode's plot revolves around a group of people including Clara and the Doctor stuck in North Polo with a bunch of dream crabs trying to get them. But what they don't know is that they might all be in a dream, within a dream and so on. Nick Frost surprisingly delivers an excellent portrayal of Santa Claus and didn't go all childish and cheesy. Capaldi remains intact as he gives yet another fantastic performance as the dark and rude Doctor in which fans should be able to get used to this by now after one whole series and a special. Clara had some definitive and emotional moments, yet some felt a little bit useless and drawn-out.

There are a ton of great and well executed shocking moments in this special which is bound to glue audiences to their seats.
Certainly the highlights of this episode were the concept and shocking moments. There were also a ton of references in the episode which will give you a smile or at least make you laugh. Of course, the Christmas theme was present in the episode as well.

However, the Christmas Theme did not balance kind of didn't balance with the dark atmosphere of the episode at start. It felt like at the end they remembered that all they did was add Santa so they squeezed right in some Christmas spirit in which it did work for the most part. To put it in one sentence, the Christmas special felt like Inception, but with Santa in it.

Nonetheless, it is certainly one of the best Christmas specials Doctor Who has had so far.

-Slow start,
+the dark atmosphere and mystery throughout the episode,
+the new monsters were terrifying,
+nice concept (which seemed to be a little like Inception)
+great performances,
-some drawn-out scenes
-the balance of the Dark atmosphere and Christmas spirit didn't blend well.

Verdict: 8.5/10