American Horror Story: Freak Show | Teen Ink

American Horror Story: Freak Show

October 23, 2014
By kerrymbrennan BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
kerrymbrennan BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Wednesday nights at 10 p.m. eastern, we are all freaks. If you tune into FX, you can expect to be thrilled, scared, excited, disgusted, and to fall in love. You will meet a freak show of monsters that will mystify and terrify you. If you enjoy something that will get your heart racing and your mind working, you must watch American Horror Story: Freak Show. Produced by the creative Ryan Murphy, it is easily the best horror television show out there; and in my opinion the best TV series out there, period. Even for those easily frightened, once you watch one episode, it will be hard to resist. You will keep coming back to catch more of the freak show.


American Horror Story takes us to dry, depressing Jupiter, Florida back in 1952. Dumpy tents full of Elsa Mars’ (portrayed by Jessica Lange) ‘monsters.’ Elsa Mars is a French woman that seems to have a freaky (get it?!) obsession with these freaks, and an even bigger obsession with becoming a star.  We follow her odd excursions to market her dying show and see her desperate efforts to have all of her freaks support her. Some weird, twisted stuff goes on behind the red and white tents of Elsa’s freak show, which can be intriguing and many times, disturbing. She seems to be willing to do anything in order to promote herself and her freaks, but will she cross a dangerous line?


Parallel to Elsa’s freak show problems, we are introduced the creepiest clown that you will ever see, with an ironic name: Twisty. Maybe it is because of his twisted smile, or just because of what a twisted person he is. He murders innocent people and kidnaps children. He seems to have a passion for clowning, but with a very intense murderous streak. What a morbid combination. The odd part is, this weirdo clown is not a part of the freak show. So what does he have to do with it? He can’t just be there for scaring purposes, because in American Horror Story there is always a well mapped-out plot that will have you gasping through it’s twists and turns. So who is this clown, what is he doing (or going to do!) with the freak show, and what is his motive? But most importantly… what could possibly be under his sinister mask?


While Twisty is out and about murdering and clowning, the freaks are all facing their own personal problems. Circus people have feelings? Well yes, definitely at this freak show.  They may seem like monsters at first, but through the episodes we are able to relate and empathize with this troupe of people that just want to be normal. The fact that these odd looking and crazily acting people are relatable is perhaps one of the most mystifying parts of this TV series. The drama, horror, and disturbing occurrences that go on in their white and red striped homes will be sure to draw you in.


If you want some thrill, drama, or just a good show to get hooked on, I absolutely, positively recommend American Horror Story: Freak Show. Each episode has your heart beating a mile a minute, and maybe even breaking. It’s the type of show that makes you want to cover your eyes, but you are just not able to look away.  The only people that would not like this show are children and weaklings. Just kidding! It is certainly not for the faint of heart, but I can watch it even though I can barely sit through a horror movie without shrieking and closing my eyes for multiple consecutive scenes. Even if you feel that it would be too scary for you, I urge you just to try one episode and if that does not hook you on to this show, then I suppose you’re just not freaky enough. Be sure to tune in to American Horror Story: Freak Show every Wednesday night at 10 p.m. eastern on FX.