Gurren Lagann | Teen Ink

Gurren Lagann

By Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia

"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD

This is my review of: Gurren Lagann! Gurren Lagann is an anime that was made a while ago, long before any of the current ones like Sword Art Online, or Fairy Tail. It focuses on an interesting premise which can be summed up into a single question; What would life be like if we lived like moles?

That is the basic idea behind Gurren Lagann; in an alternate universe, humanity was driven underground by creatures called Beastmen who pilot giant machines called Gunmen. They're essentially downsized versions of Jaegers from Pacific Rim with more unique designs. For example, one Gunman could be designed around that of a bathhouse (it happened) or even of a walking helicarrier (it also happened). With humanity in its new role as inferior life forms to the Beastmen, they were driven underground and were forced into their new careers; digging. Seriously, what else would you do underground with no electricity, no current forms of entertainment or anything like that? Well, besides sing.

The story focuses on our main protagonist named Simon, who is essentially the best digger in his tribe. He looks like he's about maybe ten to twelve years old, and he's the best digger in a tribe of adults and teenagers. Anyway, one day while digging he comes across a tiny golden colored spiral drill. He takes it back to his "bro" Kamina, who sees it as a sign that they will be able to break through the heavens and get to the surface, but the other members of the tribe believe there is no surface world since they've been underground for so long.

However, they're opinion is changed when a battle between a Gunman and a rebel named Yoko breaks through the ground and into the center of Simon and Kamina's village. Events unfold and with the help of a tiny Gunman that Simon found along with the drill, which they named Lagann, managed to defeat the Gunman and break through to the surface, and their adventures begin. Along the way, the trio runs into more Gunmen and Kamina decides to take control of a Gunman himself, and uses his own "fighting spirit" and helps Simon fight with his Gunman. Once they encounter a human/beastman hybrid named Viral, the two 'brothers' learn about Gunmen fusion, and master that technique to combine their two Gunmen into the mecha-zord 'Gurren Lagann'. The three heroes meet other humans who are rebelling against the beastmen during their travels and eventually team up to form Team-Gurren, the rebellion against the Beastmen army.

The story, without spoiling too much, is really awesome to follow. While watching the series, the problems the group faces is nail biting at most points, but it always manages to maintain its sense of humor. The animation is dated when compared to something current like Sword Art Online, but still holds up. The animation is still very beautiful and fun to watch, but it's easy to tell that it was old. The designs for the Gunmen are awesome! These are some of the most creative designs I've seen in a while, and are some of the most creative robotic designs I've seen ever. The character designs are very different and unique, and it is easy to tell the characters apart. Their personalities are also very diverse from one another; one's a coward learning to fight his own battles, while another is an obnoxious jackass, and another is calm minded and think things through, and so on.

Speaking of the characters; a lot of these characters are extremely likable and their motivations are really understandable if yet simple. Simon is the main character who learns from his mistakes and uses that knowledge to grow as a character. Lagann formed a special connection to Simon so that even if someone else has the spiral drill, only Simon is able to pilot it and control its power. Watching his journey go on is really encouraging and it is easy to root for him in a fight.

Kamina is the "bro" of Simon.  The two aren't blood brothers but have experienced so much together they might as well be brothers. Kamina is an obnoxious jackass through and through but his constant bellowing about "fighting spirit" grows on you as the episodes progress. He was the mentor figure of Simon and helped him learn about his destiny, even if his methods weren't always logical.

Kamina eventually forms a relationship with Yoko, the female protagonist, and I don't believe that's a spoiler since it is so obvious. Yoko was a big sister role model for Simon when he was having a hard time learning a lesson that "Bro" was trying to teach him. Yoko never lost faith in either of the two and her support was what helped them push past their limits in a fight; that and Kamina's speeches always got the group riled up. Many of the other characters are somewhat forgettable aside from a few. Even if their names escape you, their characters and personalities are something that will not be forgotten.

The story is incredible; the plot is amazing; the characters are memorable and extremely likable; the action is phenomenal! Therefore, it is safe to say that the anime Gureen Lagann is: Awesometastic!!!

So, Gureen Lagann; have you watched it? If so, what did you think about it? If not, check it out. It will be a decision you'll be glad you made.

Brotherly Combining; Gureen LAGANN!