Dream High | Teen Ink

Dream High

By Hellokitty16 SILVER, Newark, Delaware
Hellokitty16 SILVER, Newark, Delaware

What do you expect when you watch a foreign TV show? Subtitles that you can keep up with, and a corny story line that you just can’t seem to understand. Foreign TV shows are something that most people would detest and avoid at all cost, with the bright yellow caution tape spread across the screen. So when I first seen the cover of the Korean teen drama Dream high I was skeptical of what to expect.

As I started watching the series I realized that I was instantly captured in the plot. Six students at Kirin High School for the musically talented have the dream of becoming K-pop (Korean pop stars) idols. During their days at school, they learn to develop their singing, songwriting and dancing skills while going through their own personal growths. They also go through their love lives and start to develop feelings for each other. Each one of the students has his or her own strengths and weaknesses, but they strive to debut their talent, with the support and guidance from each other and their teachers. From the low action parts, where characters jump off of buildings. To the quarrels between supposed best friend, the love triangle between three of the main charters, and even the struggles each character was facing in their life. I was shocked at how much i was draw to them.

Charters whose past's range from country bumpkin named Song Sam-dong played by Kim Soo-hyun , to child of a government official Jin-gook/Hyun Shi-hyuk played by Ok Taecyeon (of 2AM). A classical singer named Go Hye-mi acted out by Suzy (of miss A) whose father went bankrupt, running away to Canada. Leaving her to pay the debt along with the responsibility of her younger sister. Yoon Baek-hee portrayed by Ham Eun-jung (from T-ara) who follows Hye-mi everywhere, and soon gains the nickname Hye-mi’s tail. IU who plays Pil-sook a girl who is looked down upon by the students because her body is not “idol worthy”, as she is overweight. Lastly, Wooyoung (of 2AM) who acts as Jason, a Korean boy who grew up in America, but came back to pursue his dream.

I would recommend Dream High to anyone, but if I had to choose one group of people it would be teens who enjoy watching show with singing, drama, and foreign languages. furthermore to people who are willing to put the time into reading the subtitles. Lastly, I would recommend this to people who want to learn more about other cultures and see that they are not really that different from you and me.

Overall I generally liked Dream high. But there were some parts in the show at which I didn't like, yet other parts that I really liked so as to make up for the parts that I failed to level up with. But if I ever had the chance to watch it again, I would. In conclusion I would give Dream high four out of five stars.