The Office | Teen Ink

The Office

November 20, 2007
By Anonymous

Do you have an unbelievably lame boss? We all know what it is like, but the employees of the Scranton, Pennsylvania Dunder Mifflin paper company defiantly have the worst boss. On Thursdays at 9:00 pm, NBC shows the unusual documentary of a cheesy boss, dorky assistant, many salesmen, a receptionist, and the hated (by the boss) HR guy. The Office is worth watching because the plot is full of comical conflicts, the characters are interestingly relatable, and the writing is hilariously realistic.

The Office keeps the attention of its viewers with the relationships and awkward situations. The Office’s Jim Halpert (John Krasinski) is constantly playing pranks on Dwight Schrute (Rainn Wilson). In one episode Dwight has a concussion and Michael burns his foot on a George Foreman grill. As Dwight is in the MRI Michael sticks his foot in (thinking his injury is worse). This is just one of many unusual comical obstacles. In most episodes Michael and another employee are faced with a problem and once they solve it Michael sits in his office and gloats about how he made the right choice. The Office is a great story of how to survive the humiliation and conflict of work when your work and personal life mix.

The characters in this office are all very different. Michael of course sees himself as the totally cool funny guy that everyone would love to have as a boss. This is by all means wrong. Jim the laidback funny guy dated Karen(former employee) until he dated the sweet most compatible receptionist, Pam. Jim and Pam have always liked each other, but Pam was engaged. After she post-poned the wedding and then broke up, Jim dated Karen. Now they are the happiest and the perfect couple. Dwight is the hilarious dork of an assistant. He is very bizarre, living on a beet farm and just being Dwight. The characters are entertaining because you can sympathize with their humiliating situations. Like when Jan (Michael’s girlfriend and former boss) brings Michaels diary to court.

This show is just one series of humorous interactions. Like when Michael’s tells Pam to make up calls, write it on a post-it note and give it to him, so he will look important. Infact, once Jim put Dwight’s stapler in Jell-O. The dialogue is very real and natural sounding. It is believable because the cast faces daily work issues, but with a comical twist. For example when Michael sends an e-mail of an embarrassing picture of Jan.

This show most certainly has interesting scenes, an outstanding supporting cast and a strong script. For a great growing audience NBC should keep on airing The Office. The audience would grow if they aired it earlier though, this way more people can watch this funny and fabulous show.