Glee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Can we have a round of applause for a realistic show about high school? Thank you.

“Glee,” a new series on FOX, is about students trying to find their niche. And they do – in the Glee Club. Their principal is looking for any excuse to cancel the club (since the last director was fond of flirting with members). Enter Will, the (cute) Spanish teacher and a former Glee Club member himself, who takes over to help the club regain its former glory. But there's a tough road ahead.

With a talented cast – featuring Lea Michele from “Spring Awakening” and Matthew Morrison from “Hairspray” – “Glee” is the most realistic portrayal of high school students on television.

I am gleeful to see this show break stereotypes and inject honesty into its writing. Unlike with Blair Waldorf or Naomi Clark, I can relate to these characters (they don't walk around dropping brand names). They are searching for who they are because they don't fall into trite social categories like jocks, cheerleaders, etc. And what a relief to find a student in a wheelchair (Arty) outside of a Hallmark made-for-TV movie. I feel warmth after watching “Glee,” compared with my desperate urge to buy hairbands after watching “Gossip Girl.”

I'm not a fan of “High School Musical,” yet I enjoy the singing and dancing in “Glee.” Unlike “HSM,” which was directed at preteens, these characters have depth. Rachel is a talented girl who wants to be accepted by her peers and to be special, and Finn is a jock who plays football and endures his teammates' teasing because he enjoys singing. “High School Musical” – cheesiness + real life – unrealistic plans to save the day = “Glee.”

Sure, “Glee” contains some clichés – Rachel is going to fall for Finn – but in spite of this, I think the show will inspire teenagers, and even teachers who have lost the love for what they do. Why? It's honest. It is not extravagant or pure fairy tale.

It's real.

klegault This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 6 at 2:39 pm
Fantastic review! Your hook was very intriguing. 

Real_life_LoveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 30 at 10:41 am
Oops sorry not DEvi1sAdvocate but I meant that to go to Rebeckabear... lol silly me.

Mar. 30 at 10:40 am
Okay my 7 year old sister watches Glee... It prepares her for life. I am sorry to be against you Devi1sAdvocate but the saying "If you have got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." -Unknown, really applies here. So I'm sorry if you find Glee inappropriate but some of us find it very inspiring.... Take Kurt for example, he faces a very hard time especially with is sexuality but finds him friends with Finn, the popular boy in school. It teaches us that being dive... (more »)

klegault This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 6 at 2:40 pm
Yes! Exactly!!

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25 at 10:00 pm
Glee, oh Glee, what is there to say about you. You're offensive, you're laughable, you're ridiculous, and for some reason, I still follow you, even after the stories have gotten so ridiculous that any same person would drop you. Ryan Murphey craps out another terrible show a la Nip/Tuck that for whatever reason, I will watch until it is inevitably, and to a silent sigh of relief from everybody, canceled.

LunaGlows said...
Mar. 17 at 3:38 pm
I will admit, I used to think Glee was a good show, but I just stopped watching after The Quarterback because I liked Finn as a character and felt like it was a satisfying conclusion to the end of my veiwership with Glee.

misfitsquuen said...
Feb. 28 at 9:23 am
hi i'm very new to this but i really love your glee thing

misfitsquuen said...
Feb. 28 at 9:13 am
i love glee too i love the way they sang

WriterHeadThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i like how u told the truth!!!!! high school is sometimes portrayed as a fairy tale, but it's really not always fun and happy. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

misfitsquuen replied...
Feb. 28 at 9:15 am
and write somemore 1 would love to hear somemore about it thank you

GleekGamer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great analysis. I love Glee (*points to username*), and it constantly makes me cry.

Allie hunter said...
Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:08 am
We all know that Glee, if stripped of the special connection it has to young people, looses its magic. That is what I would say if someone asked for my take on Glee Season 4. I felt like Ryan Murphy has embarked on a quest to transform Glee to become the next " Gossip Girl" + Karaoke. His quest, however, failed, and he dragged the entire quest down with him. 

amaria0109 said...
I like this series a lot, and I'm just really disappointed with the new season. It's so...... flat. Like they've run out of ideas.

Jason H. said...
Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:26 am
This was a nice review. It makes me want to read on about it.

stephpants said...
this was awesome you go girl !!!

giggles1408 said...
I LOVE Glee!! And hey, you cant really blae Rachel..I fell in love with Finn too...but yes, people need to stop being mean to Glee if you dont like it thta's fine but it does not mean you have to bash it.

loveroffashionandwritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
lol... nice review! I am a total gleek:) havent missed an episode

misfitsquuen replied...
Feb. 28 at 9:17 am
i love glee to

Lindsey31This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I used to enjoy watching Glee, but it has too many cliches and sing-a-long songs. I wish they sang THEIR OWN songs instead of covering everyone else's. I don't know. Also, it IS quite inappropriate so watching it with my family is very awkward. There are some fun parts in the show, but I'm definitely not a GLEE-k.

rebeckabear said...
Why is everyone in love with glee it is just a tv show and just to tell you i think this is completly inapropet i let my 10 year old daughter watch this show with me i am so mad on what the message is. her chorus teacher also wants her to watch it but i said no way we are not going through that mess again. if you watch it i dont care but if you write articles saying that is good you are complety wrong. i thought that this would be a nice tv show for the whole family insted my parents got so mad ... (more »)