Riverdale | Teen Ink

Riverdale

By juliana28 BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
juliana28 BRONZE, Staten Island, New York

With an astonishing 2.3 million viewers from the opening episode in season 2, Riverdale is a show you won’t want to miss. It is based off of the well-known Archie Comics, which almost all of the characters in the show are directly pulled from. In Riverdale, the town is full of captivating murder mystery storylines.

The teenagers Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart), Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse), Archie Andrews (KJ Apa), and Veronica Lodge (Camila Mendes) meddle into major police investigations addressed in each episode. Betty is the stereotypical girl next door with a dark side. Archie is a popular guy on the football team who has a passion for music. Jughead has a sarcastic personality and is the son of a gang member. Veronica is the rich new girl in town that everyone is skeptical about.

The show is narrated by Jughead, who gives insight on news and gossip in the town. In season one, the overarching conflict was the murder of Jason Blossom. It deals with drug dealing, which is a major problem today. The drama expresses heavy topics that the teens must go through. They suffer through loss, violence, and murder.  In the second season, there were a series of crimes carried out by the “black hood.” His identity was unknown until the finale. The show presents fighting between gangs, death threats, sexuality acceptance, murders, and child-parental issues. The characters are burdened with dangerous responsibilities. The characters had to help cover up murders, and keep secrets that put them in dangerous situations, among other tasks.

Cole Sprouse portrays amazing acting skills, as he plays the role of Jughead beautifully. He is a natural in front of the camera and puts a lot of emotion into his acting. When he was harshly beat up in season two, viewers were deeply saddened by the event because of our attachment to the character. It was a breathtaking scene which the director (Rob Seidenglanz) created perfectly. We learn his perspective of what it’s like to live among the gang the “Southside Serpents” who fight against the North Side frequently.

In addition to crime, the show is appealing to teens because of the on-screen romance. The relationship between the core-four and other minor characters intrigues many fans. The romantic scenes demonstrated in the show add to the structure of the enthralling plot. Setting also enhances the plot. One significant setting in the show is Pop’s diner where the core four always order milkshakes and burgers. Tension arises when the characters meet there. Another important setting is Riverdale High. Many conflicts emerge in this school, whether it’s the River Vixens cheerleading practice or major dramatic events that add to the overall mysteries.

If you start watching Riverdale, you won’t regret it. The suspenseful show will have you hiding underneath your covers, anxiously awaiting each episode.