Spoktacular Fall | Teen Ink

Spoktacular Fall

By sophschwartz GOLD, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
sophschwartz GOLD, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

While outside the window the crisp fall leaves dance through the sky, inside the kitchen a synchronized production of pumpkin spice and apple cinnamon flavor flies through the air, receiving a deafening applause from my growling stomach. In my household during the fall season, this lavish assembly of pumpkin muffins, pies, and Pillsbury Halloween cookies is expected and largely anticipated by my family, for we embrace this season of baking. The mouth watering treats that I indulge in during the month of October are not always tangible, but further extend to the delicious and awe-inspiring creations of sugar, cake, and pumpkin within my television screen on Food Network’s reality competition: Halloween Wars. As someone that loves both food and halloween, this show is the perfect treat to binge-watch while snuggling up on a couch and devouring candy-corn and popcorn galore. Although multiple Halloween movies and shows exist, Food Network’s Halloween Wars surpasses all others in halloween-spirit, drama, and terror through its unique portrayal of edible halloween scares.

Airing first in 2011, the show has delivered seven successful seasons of fright, terror, and deliciousness. The show is a unique spin-off to Cupcake Wars, with its distinguishable feature of halloween themed competition. Each season documents five teams such as “The Corpse Crushers” or “Scare Team” as they engage in intense battles to impress the judges and survive elimination to progress to the next round. The show maximizes its entertainment factor by breeding an intense “two-front baking war” in which teams must battle other teams, but also fight the clock in a vicious and nail biting battle to be the last team standing and claim the $50,000 cash prize. Each episode is divided into two timed challenges: “a small scare” and “a large scare.” Both challenges prompt competitors to the same task: to create a spooky masterpiece that effectively blends pumpkin, sugar, and cake in a creative portrayal of the challenge’s theme. The distinguishing factor between the challenges are their time constraints. “The small scare” gives bakers a short 45 minutes, while in contrast “the large scare” grants the bakers four hours. Though this time sounds long, in reality for viewers and competitors the time flies. Though granted four hours, the footage documents the desperate rush of the teams to barely finish as they add final touches to their piece until the very last second.

With such high stakes and intensity, the show’s hosts play essential roles in successfully delivering personalities to match the competitive environment and high level-energy of the show. In the show’s seven years on air, it has been hosted by two different people: Jonathan Bennett and Justin William. These prominent personalities both have distinguished careers as television hosts. Specifically both men contribute much of their fame to their lovable roles as the hosts of the original show: Cupcake Wars. Though the hosts have changed throughout the years, these small changes have failed to interfere with the entertainment or popularity of the show; rather the changes offer new faces in which both actors fill the position with charisma and witty, and at times corny, puns. In addition to their comic relief, the hosts further serve as producers of drama as they contribute reminders such as, “Bakers only 1 minute left…” to provide pressure, yet also a needed reality check for competitors. Collectively, the balanced ratio of humor to competition that the hosts supply, is an essential component to the show’s success.

Though Halloween Wars’ beautiful masterpieces, delicious halloween treats, well-known guest star judges, and lively teams alone are the perfect recipe for a binge-worthy show, the most significant ingredient towards its success is the element of drama. As a reality show competition the series really tones into the genre by exploiting the tension or problems that plague teams throughout challenges. Though at times the superficial and dramatic dialogue and tears between teammates or the ironic commercial breaks that follow gasps and the glimpse of a breaking piece may seem corny, these reality show production elements prove surprisingly irresistible and effective at developing the entertainment and enjoyability of the show. It’s “eerie” or suspenseful music parallels the situations during the competition to create a perfect blend of sights and sounds that compliment each other to create entertainment incomparable to that of any other show on the network. Further, the entertainment of the show is largely a product of the charisma, enthusiasm, and overall personalities of the competitors themselves. Each team, consisting of a sugar artist, expert pumpkin carver, and cake baker, combine not only unique skill sets but also unique personalities. In some cases these personalities blend in unison and harmony to yield strong teamwork, or in other contrasting cases, the personalities clash and in effect are the ultimate downfall of the team. The show provides a unique opportunity to witness team dynamics emerge in which the audience can watch team members individual interactions with each other and simultaneously witness the competitive nature between teams. With each new round the intensity increases, consequently producing more drama as pressure and anxiety inflict the teams and the competitiveness of the show is amplified. Overall, each season, this show never fails to deliver an outstanding production of drama and entertainment through its team quarrels and reality show production techniques.

Filled with drama, fun, and most importantly food, Halloween Wars is a show that can be universally enjoyed by any audience. Children, adults, bakers, or Halloween enthusiasts can all find joy and entertainment in this show. This show is appropriate for all ages; however, younger children may disfavor it if they are easily frightened by monsters or blood. All the pieces are fake and cartoonish resulting that most of their scare is subdued, but it is important to note that the pieces are so intricately detailed that they convey an element of realism which could alarm younger viewers. Despite the indisposition of the young or easily scared, in my home this is a family favorite. Coming from a family that usually brawls for the control of the television remote and show selection, the fact that this show provides an acceptable truce for all feuding members reinforces the vast enjoyability of this show. Halloween Wars offers a unique opportunity to unite families and friends to experience the horror and spook of Halloween through the drama, talent, and mind blowing pumpkin, sugar and cake creations. To complete your fall season and extend the joy of fall beyond your own kitchen and the outdoors, tune into Food Network’s irresistible and spooktacular Halloween Wars on Sunday nights.