Not So Boring Day in The Office | Teen Ink

Not So Boring Day in The Office

By emilymerlino BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
emilymerlino BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Not So Boring Day in The Office

Between the beloved characters, the classic theme song, and notorious quotes, The Office remains one of the most iconic shows of all time. On March 24, 2005, the American sitcom aired on NBC, forever changing the lives of its viewers. The show brought humor and happiness to many through its witty story line and amusing cast throughout the 2000s.  Greg Daniels, the developer of the American television show, provided the series with the most crowd appealing feature, the simulated look of an actual documentary. The everyday lives of numerous office employees in Scranton, Pennsylvania is entirely shot by a single-camera setup, which has the allusion of just that. On the other hand, the show does not include aspects such as a laugh track or studio audience, which is apparently appreciated by the fans. But really what is not to like about a feel-good comedy?
            Another significant technique the writer used in this production was the various adjustments to the main cast. A few memorable actors and actresses in this comedy series include Rainn Wilson who plays Dwight Schrute, Steve Carell as Michael Scott, John Krasinski playing Jim Halpert, Jenna Fischer who is Pam Beesly, and many others. Although a few influential characters left, they were replaced with new actors and actresses who brought even more entertainment, and diversity to the show. Michael Scott leaves the show towards the end of season 7, and is replaced by Ed Helms, who plays the role of Andy Bernhard. Interestingly enough, Scott returns later on for the series finale, which was applauded by the fans. For many of the shows actors and actresses, The Office was their peak, as they were nominated for awards, such as the Primetime Emmy Award, and the Screen Actors Guild Award, as a result of the comedy.
            The characters in this series are displayed superbly by the cast, adding variety to each and every episode. Fictional character Dwight Schrute is known for his lack of social skills and common sense. The audience finds humor in his office rivalry with Jim Halpert. The two have a love-hate relationship, which include cooperatively running the office together at one point, supporting each other during difficult times, and even pulling practical jokes on one another. The other significant relationship throughout the show, is that of Jim and Pam Beesly.  Jim and Pam are adored as one of the main couples on The Office, as the documentary crew catches everything between the two. From the two’s constant joking with each other in season 1, to their elopement in season 5, Jim and Pam will forever be one of tv’s greatest screen couples. Angela, Kevin, Phyllis, Oscar, Stanley and Meredith are just a few of the other employees at the fictional Dunder Milfin Paper Company, that make the show.
     There was controversy throughout the first season of The Office, and many television critics questioned its success rate. The next four seasons of the comedy prospered and by 2006, the show had already won several awards. The sitcom won the Peabody Award, 2 Screen Actors Guild Awards, a Golden Globe Award, and 4 Primetime Emmy Awards. New episodes of the show were aired on NBC until May 16, 2013, although they are continuously played on television, and all nine seasons are available on American media services, such as Netflix. An estimated 5.69 million viewers tuned in to the series finale, as many felt connected to the characters.
      Through the lenses of a documentary film crew, The Office fans observe the humorous lives of fictional characters who dislike both their boss and job. The 20-minute-long sitcom is full of gossip, pranks, romance and absurdity, and is not a show to miss out on. It is unbelievable how much is compacted into the short episodes. This comedy is the type that the audience can watch and rewatch without getting bored of, as it will only allow them to pick up on that much more of the humor, and heartwarming moments. They never get old, and never will. Just prepare to have The Office theme song jingle stuck in your head for the foreseeable future.

This piece is a review of the iconic sitcom, The Office, which is aired on NBC.