NBC's Superstore Review by a Viewer | Teen Ink

NBC's Superstore Review by a Viewer

Superstore, the NBC workplace sitcom is one of the best sitcoms on air currently, the style of comedy is refreshing, the romance was well done, and the show was overall incredibly well written. Beginning with the style of comedy, it combines two distinct types of comedy beautifully to create a truly hilarious show. The romance storyline between Jonah and Amy, which is still not complete, is fresh in how it combines iconic relationships seen in other beloved sitcoms. The show has thoroughly developed characters that are a pleasure to watch, going on its fourth season, Superstore has amazing writers.

The comedy of Superstore resembles two styles of comedy seen in tv shows that are rarely combined, while also adding traditional comedy relying on the development of the characters. The two genres of comedy strongly pronounced are realism and extremely animated characters. First, the comedy based on the characters themselves works perfectly, the character flaws by themselves are great. For example, the character Jonah, his flaws being that he is pretentious and tries hard to be the liberal everyone respects, yet it comes off annoying as it does when people in our everyday lives. The realism comes from the fact that the setting is a grocery store, the costumers employ this often as the cut scenes are all weird things that the customers do. For example, in one episode, a customer rams her cart into another cart in a tight aisle. 

The romantic storyline of Superstore, focused on Jonah and Amy is often talked about in reviews as resembling the relationship of Jim and Pam from The Office, another NBC workplace comedy, however the realtionship of Jonah and Amy has a combination of iconic tv show romance. Jonah and Amy resemble the timeline of Jim and Pam but not exactly the dynamic of the relationship, Jonah and Amy have the sexual tension that resembles Sam and Diane from Cheers a dated but iconic reference to the CBS sitcom. Superstore uses influences from othere tv relationships but overall they have created a very original, cultivating relationship. 

I have watched Superstore all the way through mutliple times and am thrilled that they are going to have a fourth season! I would recommend it to anyone who loved NBC's other iconic comedies The Office, Parks and Recreation.