I Am Not A Label by Prince Ea | Teen Ink

I Am Not A Label by Prince Ea

May 11, 2017
By schobelochj20 BRONZE, Williamsport, Ohio
schobelochj20 BRONZE, Williamsport, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything is what you make of it"


The way Prince Ea starts the song out is very unique and it really makes you think. When we says “...I didn't come out of my mothers whom saying...” it makes you stop and say to yourself, maybe I didn’t want to be like this but neither did anyone else, we didn't get to chose how we are. I big part in this song is when he says “...eventually we all swallow them, we digest and accept the labels never ever doubting them...” this hits me hard because it’s not just one person that makes these “labels” a thing it all of us together. He gives you assurance if you're still not with him and don’t agree with him when he says “... Listen I’m not here to tell you how science has concluded that genetically were all mixed and race and the human species does not exist or how every historian knows that race what invented in the 15th century to divide people from each other and it has worked perfectly, no...” He made the song that everyone can relate. He makes you think super hard when he says “...who would you be if the world never gave you a label, never gave you a box to check?...” it makes you think; who would I be, what box would I check? I think that everyone can agree that this song is deep and we all agree on the part where he say “...we would be one, we would be together no longer living in the era…” This brings hopes. When he says “... every war has started over labels…” I believe that most people would agree. The part that I think brings it all together and brings it close to the heart is when he says “... Isn’t funny how no baby is born racist yet every baby cries when they hear the cries of another no matter their gender culture or color proving that deep down we were meant to connect and care for each other…” After you listen to this song you can’t dismiss labels anymore. This song is very touching. You shows a very important message that the whole world should know. Although is very emotional I think that we need today's children to not associate people with labels that way everyone can be happy and so that families and people don’t have to be torn apart by “... these labels that will forever blind us from seeing a person for who they are but instead seeing them through the judgmental, prejudicial, artificial filters for who we think that are…”


The author's comments:

This peice was inspired by something that happened in my life.