The Balcony by Catfish and The Bottlemen | Teen Ink

The Balcony by Catfish and The Bottlemen MAG

March 15, 2017
By super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
super8 PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas
30 articles 9 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You ain't ever gonna burn my heart out!"


The “catfish army” is coming.
With the release of their debut album, “The Balcony,” Catfish and The Bottlemen look to become the next big addition to the indie genre.
Judging the “book” by its “cover,” so-to-speak, the band seems typical. They apper to be just another underground indie band with a ridiculous name that only a few hundred people will ever hear. Just another circle of long-haired British boys who think they can conquer the world with their guitars. But one quick listen reveals that this band may be headed for bigger heights. In fact, the catfish army (a nickname that has been floating around in the band’s fanbase) may be destined to rise to the top of the genre.
After awards from the BBC and NME magazine, as well as an appearance on “The David Letterman Show” in 2015, Catfish and The Bottlemen have quickly found their path to relevancy. It should come as no surprise, considering their pop mainstream groove mixed with flavorful servings of guitar that satisfies the desires of today’s music industry. The Welsh band has the potential to make an impact similar to Kings of Leon and The Kooks, both of which they derive sounds from.
Standout moments in “The Balcony” include the rowdy chorus of “Kathleen,” the blossoming pop rock fusion of “Cocoon” and “Business,” and the tranquil, Jake Bugg-influenced “Hourglass.” It’s difficult to spot a weak track in this album.
Perhaps the band’s greatest asset is lead singer Van McCann. In typical indie fashion, he isn’t afraid to hold back his passion and makes sure to put in a good growl or two, but for the majority of the album he keeps his vocals pleasingly smooth and rich.
“The Balcony” is a solid debut that, at times, features strokes of brilliance. With just a bit of hard work and innovation, this band may indeed be headed for the mainstream.