Things I’ll Never Say to You by Chasing Trains This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

It is always a very fulfilling feeling when I discover a band that plays the emotion-provoking genre of music I am fond of. Over the past month, I was lucky enough to stumble upon an all-female indie band from Mahwah, NJ, that deserves an immense amount of attention for their spellbinding music. Their first album, ironically titled Things I’ll Never Say to You, is a combination of tear jerking lullabies and sultry love songs.
In their first song, “Fade Away”, the listener is taken on a romance-swept rollercoaster between two unnamed lovers, who forget their inhibition to fall in love for just one night. Although not afraid of her love, the boy reveals he is afraid of “too much wasted time”. These words are completely relatable to anyone that has ever experienced a relationship, and to anyone that has ever been heartbroken. Likewise, so is the idea that “love’s just a game we play; whether its forever, or three years, or just a day”. These lyrics are accompanied by a slowly strummed guitar. The melody, along with the heartfelt words, combine to form a magnificent ballad that is more than suitable for anyone who has ever struggled in a challenging romance.
On a completely different note, “Avalanche” provides the listener with the subtle details of a seemingly catastrophically scandalous relationship. Mysteriously, it is sung “let’s take too many chances”. The song is also filled to the brim with mystifyingly beautiful harmonies, which are very pleasing to the ears. In my opinion, this song is very interesting, because it uses deep imagery while still maintaining a very vague storyline. This leaves a lot of interpretation up to the listener, allowing the song to mean a variety of things depending on the audience that is listening.
There is something very gratifying about finding obscure bands that produce quality music. Although Chasing Trains has only produced one EP so far, I am hoping for much more from this band, as their current content is fantastic. Other than the songs listed in this review, they also have published “Shhhh” and “Bottles”. Their music can be found on Bandcamp, and I truly hope you spare a minute or two to check it out. I promise you, you will not regret supporting this brilliant up-and-coming group.