Cloud 9 • Kygo | Teen Ink

Cloud 9 • Kygo MAG

January 20, 2017
By DanLopez SILVER, Oakland, New Jersey
DanLopez SILVER, Oakland, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Kygo, the “Prince of Tropical House” is out with his debut album, “Cloud 9.” It was one of the most hotly anticipated of 2016 and 10 months after its release it has brought in millions of dollars in total gross sales.

Among the latest electronic artists to come out of Scandinavia, Kyrre Gørvell-Dahll – known by his stage name Kygo – grew up in Bergen, Norway. As a child he played the piano and was considered by many to be a prodigy. At the age of 16 he took up music producing, and the rest is history.

Kygo’s early remixes, for which he garnered fame, were mainly tropical house. The dreamy beats are perfect for listening to at the beach. With “Cloud 9,” Kygo returns to his roots. As he has said in several interviews, he considers himself a pianist first and a DJ second. The album is filled with sounds and rhythms from his piano, tying the songs together for a cohesive, yet never boring, experience.

Kygo sets the precedent for the rest of the album, and arguably his career, in the first song, “Intro.” With piano infused with electronic beats and sounds, “Intro” gives a sense of relaxation and ease to the listener – a feeling that everything that will be okay.

“Carry Me” featuring Julia Michaels (an up-and-coming singer/songwriter from Iowa) takes the same elements and reconstructs them for a more mainstream, catchy song. Performed by Kygo at the 2016 Olympic Games’ closing ceremony, “Carry Me” is arguably the most well-known on the album, reaching the top 10 on the Billboard Music Charts for good reason.

This great album does include some lackluster songs, however. “Happy Birthday” with John Legend proves to be sleepy and dull, while “For What It’s Worth” could not seamlessly match the lyrics to the beat, leaving me feeling discontent because of its split personality.

The rest of the album, however, makes up for these weak spots. “Fiction” featuring Tom Odell – an indie-rocker from England – offers a fast-paced, intense version of the album’s unique style. Another highlight is “Oasis” featuring Foxes. The combination of her soothing voice and piano elements create a catchy song that rounds out a great album.

“Cloud 9” proves that a fledgling artist can achieve success with the right combination of elements. This is my favorite album from 2016. It makes me feel content and happy as I listen to the songs on a continuous loop. This is a stellar start for Kygo’s mainstream career, and I am looking forward to hearing his future works.

The author's comments:

A review