Awaken, My Love! • Childish Gambino | Teen Ink

Awaken, My Love! • Childish Gambino MAG

December 6, 2016
By kniefelg SILVER, Anchorage, Alaska
kniefelg SILVER, Anchorage, Alaska
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There will always be a part of me that's sloppy and dirty but I like that along with all the other parts of me." - Jennifer Lawrence


“Awaken, My Love!” is the third studio album by Childish Gambino, and his first since 2013’s “Because the Internet.” When describing the album, Donald Glover (a.k.a. Childish Gambino) said that he took a different direction artistically and had full control over what he produced.

Boy, is it a ride.

With full control, Glover reins in and creates a beautiful album that expands on what has been created already. The genre is not so much rap as psychedelic funk. Dark, odd, and completely and unflinchingly ambitious, Glover has proved that whatever he creates will be gold.

From slow jams like “Redbone” to epics like “Me and Your Mama,” this album cements Glover’s claim to the music scene and bolsters him into a well-deserved position.

This is the best album of the year. Not only does it hit all the right notes, but I have listened to it approximately 64 times since it was released (for those reading this later, I wrote it four days after the album dropped).

Go buy this album, stream it, do whatever. Just listen to it and prepare yourself for an explosive and immersive experience.