The Wall by Pink Floyd | Teen Ink

The Wall by Pink Floyd

By KelseyE BRONZE, Walkerville, Michigan
KelseyE BRONZE, Walkerville, Michigan

The Wall - Pink Floyd
“The Wall” came out on November 30th in 1979; it's a rock opera that explores abandonment and isolation, symbolized by a metaphorical wall. The songs create an approximate storyline of events in the life of the protagonist, Pink, a character based on Syd Barrett as well as Roger Waters. Pink is oppressed by his overprotective mother, and tormented at school by tyrannical, abusive teachers. All of these traumas become metaphorical "bricks in the wall". The protagonist eventually becomes a rock star, his relationships marred by infidelity, drug use, and outbursts of violence. As his marriage crumbles, he finishes building his wall, completing his isolation from human contact.
“Another Brick In The Wall” (part 1) is the third song on this album; It's about Pink being insulted by a teacher and then later he dreams that the children in his school begin to protest against their abusive teachers. The song talks about how he had a personal wall around him from the rest of the world, the teachers were just “another brick in the wall.”
“Empty Spaces” is the eighth song on this album and this song is about Pink being grown up and now married, but he and his wife are having relationship problems because of his distance and his nearly-complete emotional “wall”. Pink keeps asking himself how he should complete its construction.
“Hey You” is the fourteenth song on this album; it's the most mysterious song on the The Wall. The phrase “Hey You” is used to implies calling out to someone. This song is about his breakup of his first wife, all the misery and pain and being out on the road when the woman declares over the phone that she's fallen in love with someone else and that he's trying his best to regain contact with the outside world.   
“Comfortably Numb” is the nineteenth song on this album and many people thought this song was about drugs but this song compares Pink’s memories of being feverishly ill as a child and as an adult he got that feeling again. Dave Gilmour wrote the music while he was working on a solo album in 1978. Gilmour believes that this song can be divided into two sections, dark and light. The light are the parts that begin “When I was a child…” and the dark parts are the “Hello, is there anybody in there.”
One of the best selling albums of 1980, “The Wall” had sold over 23 million by century’s end. It topped the charts in six different countries, including the United States, and reached the Top 10 in several more. “The Wall” followed as a major motion picture in 1982. The band followed the album with a highly theatrical tour which included building and tearing down a 40-foot high wall of cardboard bricks on the stage. This would be the last Pink Floyd tour to include Waters (who left the band in 1983).

kate436 SILVER said...
on Dec. 23 2016 at 12:38 am
kate436 SILVER, Anderson, South Carolina

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.

probably my favorite album from pink floyd!