Never Grow Up by Taylor Swift

When people think of Taylor Swift, they think of her newest songs and her current hip-hop image. However, “Never Grow Up” is buried deep underneath of all of the modern songs that Taylor performs. Falling into the country pop genre and released in 2010, “Never Grow Up” perfectly captures the struggle to break away from your childhood and be thrown into the adult world. This song gave me shivers, not only because of the beautiful guitar strumming at the beginning or Taylor’s amazing and young voice, but because I could personally relate to the lyrics. In the song, when it mentioned, “Memorize what it sounded like when your dad gets home,” that’s exactly what I did. I fit the lyrics into my own experiences and I sat there, listening to the song as if it were just a memory from my childhood. The lyrics gave such authentic and unique imagery, but that is the magic of the song. It’s not about another lousy breakup with some guy, it’s actually a meaningful song with the potential to have you in tears as you connect back to memories of dancing in your p.j.’s getting ready for school, and other childhood recollections. Of course, I don’t want you to cry, but if you want to listen to an old, poetic, and beautiful song, I recommend this one.