Flight Log: Turbulence • GOT7 | Teen Ink

Flight Log: Turbulence • GOT7 MAG

November 6, 2016
By rachen615 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
rachen615 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

GOT7 is a seven-member South Korean boy group that debuted in January 2014 under JYP Entertainment. In a much-anticipated comeback, they released their second full album, “Flight Log: Turbulence,” last September. A sequel to their mini-album, “Flight Log: Departure,” it features the music video “Hard Carry,” along with 12 other songs. In just a week, it sold more than 100,000 copies and “Hard Carry” won No. 1 on three music programs, beating out several other K-pop groups.

“Flight Log: Turbulence” displays a hip-hop and electronic genre, which is a new turn from their previous playful, charming albums. All of the members participated in producing the songs and writing the lyrics, adding their individual taste and style. Some songs talk about freedom, love, and depression. All have an addictive rhythm, even those about loneliness.

The album opens with “Skyway,” a multifaceted electronic song. It begins with an engine revving and what sounds like a new rhythm to every beat: static, drumming, DJ disc scratches, auto tune, and layered vocal samples. In keeping with its name, the song has a feeling of rising up into the air, as in the lyrics “Don’t worry about your fear of heights./It’s not scary even if we’re out in space./My heart is the oxygen tank outside the aerosphere.”

The popular single “Hard Carry” is a fierce, hard-hitting song that got more than 2.5 million views in less than 24 hours on YouTube. The intense choreography in the music video goes along with the aggressive music and confident lyrics: “Once I appear, the game is over./I get everything I want./I know how to flow with the water./Again today, I do what I have to do, hard carry.”

After some intense tracks, “No Jam” is a party song that levels things off. The title translates to “No Fun” and plays on Korean and English words. With the electronic keyboard and the xylophone, it creates a childish tune. The members sing as if they are at a party, with high spirits and screaming in the background.

“Mayday” has a similar music style to “Skyway” but describes depression and loneliness. Similar to a dubstep rap, there are water droplet sounds, futuristic warps, and clapping to create an upbeat chorus. The lyrics ask for help and forgiveness: “‘I’m sorry,’ saying it was like a habit./A saying beyond my understanding.”

“Who’s That” is a joyful tune. The drums and ukulele create a tropical vacation feeling. The track has a teasing tone, with questions asked over and over and non-stop singing. “It Hurts” is a soothing ballad to listen to after the lively songs. With a gentle acoustic guitar, it expresses the pain of being without a loved one. Even though it is a heartbreaking track, “It Hurts” has a persistent and satisfying rhythm.

“Flight Log: Turbulence” contains well-produced music and amazing lyrics, as well as talented singing and rapping. These songs will make you forget you are rising up into the air.