Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes

"I won't lie to you

I know he's just not right for you..."

These lyrics open up a heartbreaking song sung by the young 2015 Teen Choice Awards winner, Shawn Mendes. It's clear that by listening to seventeen year old Mendes that music isn't just an avenue he sees to produce entertainment and fun beats. He always makes a special, unique impact and conveys strong messages with every one of his songs-but most especially in his single, "Treat You Better".

When I first heard the song on the radio, I realized how amazing it was and knew instantly it was my new favorite. But the moment I begin watching the music video that accompanies it later, I truly fell in love with the song and its underlying message. Shawn isn't just talking about a girl he wishes he could be with-he's speaking out on the serious issue of domestic violence, and in this case, an abusive teen relationship. With gentleness, understandable frustration, and hurt, Shawn expresses both through his voice and in the music video how he wants really bad to get a girl who is verbally and physically abused out of the relationship. He's hoping with all his heart to be the gentleman this abused girl doesn't currently have.

The touching, poignant music video has an unexpected unending (at least in my personal opinion), which concludes the only too typical story of those involved in a violent or abusive relationship. Though many abused seek escape from such a harrowing "love" experience, they only too often cling to what they know instead-a false notion of love and intimacy they possess.

For those abused and domestically violated upon, Shawn Mendes is a teenager, popular as he is, lending a cry for these victims, sending the message across to huge audiences how important it is we pay attention to an issue often neglected and unrecognized for the evil it is.