The Love Club EP by Lorde

At first glance, the track list of The Love Club makes the EP seem indulgent. Titles in the vein of "Royals" and "Million Dollar Bills" paint images of splendor and opulence. However, that is exactly the lifestyle Lorde rejects with lyrics like "And we'll never be royals/ It don't run in our blood/ That kind of luxe just ain't for us".

Though The Love Club contains only five songs, these songs are powerful and unique, each a singular gem that combines with the others to make a "royal" crown of an EP.

The EP kicks off with "Bravado", in which Lorde explains how she can go from someone who is shy and uncertain to someone who can stand boldly in the spotlight. This song is relatable to anyone with introverted tendencies, pointing out that "when you're withdrawn/ It's the closest thing to assault when all eyes are on you".

Next is the song you've heard at least once, or maybe one time too many. Although "Royals" was overplayed upon its release, it can still be enjoyed for its outspoken scorn of the material excess worshipped in so many pop songs today, and for it's uniquely sparse beat, with the main instrument being Lorde's voice.

This technique of highlighting Lorde's voice is carried over into "Million Dollar Bills", where most of the background music consists of a remix of her singing.

"The Love Club" was chosen as the titular song for good reason. This song details how being "popular" isn't always all it's cracked up to be. Lorde sings: "I'm sitting pretty on my throne/ There's nothing more I want/ Except to be alone". She continues by warning how fame can tear one away from one's roots ("The only problem that I've got with the club/ Is how you're severed from the people who watched you grow up"). The mesmerizing background vocals contrast with Lorde's smooth yet emotional delivery to make perhaps the best song on the EP.

The EP concludes with the eerie and somewhat out-of-place "Biting Down". The song doesn't seem to connect with the others, at least not without knowing whatever backstory lies behind the brief lyrics. Despite this, "Biting Down" still exhibits Lord's fantastic voice and her fearlessness in releasing music that cannot be easily shoved into a box.

If you enjoy unconventional music with meaningful lyrics sung by a skillful vocalist, The Love Club is for you.