This Is Darkness by Dissimulator | Teen Ink

This Is Darkness by Dissimulator

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

I would like to start out by saying that not only would I recommend you check out the band that we'll be talking about, but also the frontman and main force behind it all, Jared Dines.
Dissimulator is a Christian Deathcore band coming from the U.S. and is surly a far cry from some other Christian and deathcore bands alike. If you don't know know about the metal comedy YouTuber Jared Dines, I recommend you start on his channel to see what all he has to offer, because kick-butt deathcore ain't all of it. The band itself shares influence from other more popular people in the fold like Independing Doom, Whitechapel and probably many others. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
This Is Darkness is a ten-track album with only 37 minutes of runtime meaning they'll have to pack in alot from the short time, also, for shorter attention spans, you can easily get through this entire thing in one sitting. Track one /Snak/ features what fans of Mr. Dines would know as a more of a friend of his, Austin Dickey. Although considering the funny vocal videos and the comment battles, I must say, it can be hard to differentiate between Jared and Dickey. Although I think Dickey screams more. There are also times where Jared decides to utilize clean vocals to fit with contradictory state of their music. This is also some pretty heavy stuff right here. Although Jared and Co. don't usually go as far down as Drop E, they can use more of Djent tuning to their liking which, if I'm correct, is around a Drop A or B to put in perspective. The breakdowns also sound really cool too, although I'm kind of iffy on some the transitions to them, and some breakdowns are hard to notice which can be good or bad depend on what you prefer, for me it's bad. I can maybe also hear some djent influence in here which adds s bit of nice touch, especially because it's quite subtle. The sheer destructiveness of the album also brings out a light and dark feel as I would associate Christianity is the light part, so lyrics, and the instrumentation as the darkness, hence the name, This Is Darkness. It brings forth a contradiction in the music that I'm sure can only be heard in other death metal, deathcore and black metal bands as you would expect it there the least. Overall a really solid album and one I would recommend for any deathcore veterans. Of course also check out Jared's channel on YouTube if you will for some comedic satire/parody of the heavy metal community.
I give this a 9.5/10. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.

To check out the band, either go on bandcamp, YouTube and/or find Jared Dines' channel for the music videos. Him and his band won't disappoint.