Voyeur • Saint Motel | Teen Ink

Voyeur • Saint Motel MAG

December 14, 2015
By JakeMundok BRONZE, Lewes, Delaware
JakeMundok BRONZE, Lewes, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Listening to Saint Motel’s “Voyeur” is the perfect way to escape a stressful day. This LA band mainly sings indie rock, which seems to be gaining popularity.

The lead vocalist, AJ Jackson, isn’t a Whitney Houston or an Adele, but he has the charm to make you want to sing along. Band member Aaron Sharp can slay the guitar almost as well as Jimi Hendrix. His cunning skill is evident in the song “Stories.” His solo near the end is a beautiful display of originality and creativity. Dak Lerdammornpong and Greg Erwin, on the drums and bass respectively, do not stand out as much as Aaron, but they play a crucial role in making Saint Motel fit together. It’s the creativity that makes this band so special. Some might call it weird, but most would call it engaging.

The lyrics make sense most of the time, but get a little sketchy in some songs. Songs like “Puzzle Pieces” and “Stories” have lots of meaning about life and love. But in “Hands Up Robert,” there is no real theme and it may bet confusing for the listener.

The song with the best rhythm on the album is “Balsa Wood Bones.” The rhythm is spot on, the lines match up perfectly, and there are plenty of rhymes. Overall, the song has great flow and meaning.

There is not very much variety in this album. Most of the songs consist of guitar, bass, drums, and vocals except for “Puzzle Pieces,” which is the most popular and features a cow bell and piano. “Balsa Wood Bones” is slower than the rest and does not contain drums. The song has the original style that Saint Motel is known for.

“Voyeur” is Saint Motel’s second most popular album. Though “My Type-ep” is a better seller, “Voyeur” is just as good musically. If you are going to spend $10 on an indie rock album, this should be the one. 

The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this piece for a writing essay that was spocered by the NY times. I chose to nwrite about Saint Motel because the are a fairly small band and should be more Reconized for they're great music.