Twenty One Pilots by Twenty One Pilots | Teen Ink

Twenty One Pilots by Twenty One Pilots

By justmyexistentialthoughts GOLD, Cumberland, Rhode Island
justmyexistentialthoughts GOLD, Cumberland, Rhode Island

"You can't make great stuff until you've made good stuff, you can't make good stuff until you make alright stuff, and you can't make alright stuff until you've made pretty bad stuff." - P.J. Liguori

Twenty One Pilots' debut self-titled album, released in 2009, is an introspective whirlwind of poetic lyrics and interestingly dissonant accompaniment that culminates into a completely unique, diverse work.  Although all of the songs on the album deal with themes of depression, insecurity, and other related themes, each song packages Twenty One Pilots' message in a different way; some are fast and some slow, while others feature different accompanying instruments. The songs take structures that are singular not only to each other but to music of all genres and artists, and they include ingenious lyrics that shape the band's core message into deliciously difficult metaphors and symbols. Although the album deals with topics that have been seen before, especially in the alternative-punk genre in which Twenty One Pilots' popularity is growing, it does so in a way that is makes the ages-old complaints seem brand new, as songwriter and lead singer Tyler Joseph uses his own personal experiences to create a raw, true experience for the listener.   In terms of lyrical and musical content, the music on Twenty One Pilots is fresh and original in a daring and slightly frightening way that nevertheless captivates the listener.

I owe my initial interest in (and now full-blown obsession with) Twenty One Pilots to my sister, who got me into their music.  My relationship with their music has taken on a life of its own; it seems that they pluck the thoughts from my mind and arrange them perfectly into the songs I can't seem to stop listening to.  I find the band and its music incredibly diverse, unique, and utterly fascinating. l-/

on Dec. 16 2015 at 9:04 pm

Thank you for reading! If you liked/related to this, please like/comment/rate as it really means a lot to me :)