The Sky Moves Sideways(1995) by Porcupine Tree | Teen Ink

The Sky Moves Sideways(1995) by Porcupine Tree

June 12, 2015
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


Porcupine Tree is a progressive rock band that is heavily influenced by the 60s and 70s eras of Pink Floyd, another progressive rock band. This band has many memorable albums to their credit like Fear of A Blank Planet, Stupid Dreams, Voyage 34, and Deadwing. Most of the band's incredible diversity can also be traced back to one modern prog rock's greatest masterminds, Steven Wilson who also had many a side project like solos and Storm Corrosion.
The Sky Moves Sideways is almost purely modern Pink Floyd heaven. Even though Porcupine Tree is well known for the atmospheric or psychedelic music, this pushes the boundaries to levels that are near impossible to describe. We get some of the 60s with Sky Moves Sideways I and Moonlope. We also get some of the 70s with Sky Moves Sideways II and once again, Moonlope. Imagine this to just be one giant Pink Floyd experience, all with sparse vocals and something that Pink Floyd later used in 2014's The Endless River. You gotta really appreciate the ambition and the almost full blown Floyd influence year. This is surly not for everyone at all, even if you are a Porcupine Tree or Pink Floyd fan, don't always expect to like it just because of that factor alone. It would also work for reading or any background music but if you do that, you aren't appreciating the true genius presented behind this masterpiece that lasts nearly an hour. Just sit back, relax, and close your eyes and drift away with the music playing. That's really all you need to do. It's atmospheric and almost ambient rock at its finest.
I rate this a 9.5/10. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.


The author's comments:

Expect to see any of this man's projects on my page here. If you haven't noticed, Steven Wilson's musical genius will likely love on for a while and I highly respect every one of his artful masterpieces. His genius rivals that of Neil Turbin from Maudlin of The Well and Kayo Dot and Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth and formally Bloodbath