Tarkus by Emerson, Lake and Palmer(ELP) | Teen Ink

Tarkus by Emerson, Lake and Palmer(ELP)

April 26, 2015
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


ELP, one of the first supergroups to have ever formed in the world. Consisting of keyboardist Keith Emerson, Guitar/Bassist Greg Lake and drummer John Palmer I believe. Much like everyone else in the 70s, they formed in the great land of England and made a bunch of good albums from the 70s to the 80s when they began to decline and ultimately stop soon after.
Tarkus is about as classic as you can get for ELP. Released in 1971, it was their first truly successful album including a 20 minute epic right at the beginning, now that takes guts guys. From there we can here the random, and jawdropping keyboards from Emerson and the crazy, poly rhythmic drumming of Palmer. Though here's the problem, Emerson is outshining everyone else and the mixing for equality in the instruments is leaned heavily towards him. I want to be able to hear everything, not just the keys.
But I guess I doesn't matter for the last track where you get nothing but keyboard virtuosos for about 2 to 3 minutes. This entire album can evoke quite an atmosphere and quite an emotional feeling at some points. Whether it be victory, sadness, happiness, love, or whatever else comes up blame it on the music. While the music its self isn't perfect, due to the overpowered keyboard, I love it. It's a pure classic in every sense of the word. See you next time for Brain Salad.
I give this a 9.5/10. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.


The author's comments:

Have ways to improve my reviewing skills? Post in the comments below what I can do to make it better.