Once More Round The Sun by Mastodon | Teen Ink

Once More Round The Sun by Mastodon

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

Moving into the most recent album by progressive metal band Mastodon, we have the highly acclaimed album Once More Around Round The Sun. After the significant let down that is The Hunter, I plan to review that, this made fans either skeptical or really happy for the loud, heavy, and back to basics comeback that makes Mastodon so great.
Much like Crack The Skye, this is famous for its holy praise since release day, and probably still is much like, well, Crack The Skye. Though admittedly, it's a bit longer, there aren't any such thing as an epic this time `round. But we do have some cool tracks like The High Road, Tread Lightly, The Motherload, Halloween, and Ember City for example and that's half the album right there. If only I got a chance to listen to this last year, I would easily put this towards the top of the list.
With that, the frontman of this band was also in a supergroup including Soulfly`s Max Cavalera and Dream Theater`s Mike Portnoy and someone else probably from Machine Head in Killer Be Killed. I find only one major flaw, the cover art. It looks kind of creepy and almost seems like a hippie stalker. But that has nothing to do with the actual music I'm just pointing that out.
I give this album a 9/10. I'm the Grim Reaper, signing off.