Razia's Shadow: A Musical | Teen Ink

Razia's Shadow: A Musical

Usually, when people see the word musical, they turn their noses up. This is most often because they are teenagers with no knowledge of Broadway and how exhilarating and amazing it can be. Having seen The Lion King on Broadway, I can vouch for this myself.

Yet this is no ordinary musical. This is not Broadway, nor is it the soundtrack to an actual play. Forgive Durden have come a long way since their first album, which is mostly because of three of the members leaving the band due to creative differences, leaving singer Thomas Dutton on his own.

Thomas came up with a concept; a story of light and dark, good and evil, with epic characters with all different personalities. There is only one single track on this album that doesn't feature a "character" or in real terms, a guest vocalist. Some of these guest vocalists include singers from more well-known bands like Brendon Urie of Panic At The Disco and Max Bemis from Say Anything.

Each character is played by a different vocalist, and there is a narration at the end of each song that leads you into the next, telling the story. I really feel that if you listen to the entire album in full, it is impossible to not get goosebumps or chills at the end.

I urge anyone who comes across this album to not be deterred by the words "a musical" on the cover. This is a masterpiece of work with brilliant lyrics and music and characters and everything you would expect from a play, despite the fact that it is merely an album.

Check out Razia's Shadow and allow yourself to be consumed by the madness and the amazing music. If you do in fact listen to this, and are confused by the characters, you can visit www.raziasshadow.com to see the names of the characters and what vocalist from what band plays them!