My Chance In History | Teen Ink

My Chance In History MAG

Was it true? The Rolling Stones, the world's greatest rock'n'roll band, was touring again? I dismissed this thought without thinking about it. The Rolling Stones? They're as old as my parents! How could people that old tour again? After pondering the chances of this historic event happening, I dreamed of what it would be like to see them.

My friend asked me if I was interested in risking my money to see the Stones. I decided it was worth the gamble for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Yes, I was going to Foxboro to see them. I downplayed the event for the next few weeks, trying not to wear out the idea of seeing legends in the music world, but it wasn't easy.

When the day arrived, the pre-concert anxiety was unbearable. How good would they be? Would their age affect their music? Would they make it a night to remember? Once in the stadium, the blaring sound of Living Colour did an admirable job loosening up the crowd of moms and dads, men and women, boys and girls. Then the lights went down, up went the noise, and on came the Stones. Their first song,"Start Me Up," put everyone in the mood. Some people danced and sang, while others just stood in amazement at what they were seeing.

One and a half hours into the show, I decided to take a break from singing and yelling. I stood and watched as they played "Little Red Rooster." The musical affect of the band is one reason why they have been so successful. Another reason they were so captivating that night went beyond their music. These guys were over 40, and they were rocking people from 10 to 50, turning the audience into one with songs like "Ruby Tuesday,""Honky Tonk Women, and "Brown Sugar." I couldn't believe that I was lucky enough to have this chance to see musical history. The Rolling Stones will probably never tour again. I'll never forget it.