The Black Crowes | Teen Ink

The Black Crowes MAG

As I arrived in Boston, I was only beginning to get excited about the night ahead. By the time I saw the masses of people outside of the Orpheum Theatre and the name of the band in lights, the realization struck me. I was going to see The Black Crowes! The band my friends and I had vowed to see since the release of "Shake Your Money Maker" in 1990, but we were too young to go. As the news spread about their tour for their latest album, "Amorica," my mother and I resolved to go.

After getting there early, we stood in the lobby finishing our coffee and a tall, skinny, long-haired guy walked by us. Joking, my mother said, "He's skinny enough to be part of The Crowes." We laughed and forgot about him until he walked on stage and sat behind the keyboard and repeatedly stunned the audience.

As we found our seats in the almost empty Orpheum, a guy asked if we would like to switch seats with him. They were seated in the third row and wanted to videotape the concert, for which our seats would be perfect. Because of its 2,800 person capacity, the Orpheum doesn't have a bad seat, but third row is always better than twenty-fifth. The opening band, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, began to play. They were great. Although I'd read a bad review of them, that night they really connected with the audience. We all "Did the Monkey" with them and got into their music.

When The Black Crowes came out onto the stage, I couldn't believe I was sitting in the third row looking up into the faces of Chris and Rich Robinson and the rest of the band. In a strange way it was almost a religious experience to see them in person. I knew every word, every guitar riff. They were as good in person as on tape. I could see how put together they were, their concentration and their sincere love for their music. As they concluded with their most popular song, "Remedy," I realized that this is one band that will be around for a while. Their music consists of talent (not just the noise that is the primary output from a lot of rock groups of today). I really recommend that, if you haven't looked into The Crowes and you like rock, to get out and listen! .