The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness | Teen Ink

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness MAG

The Smashing Pumpkins burst into the alternative mainstream with their 1993 release, ASiamese Dream." Although they already had two albums under their belt, before this album, they were relatively unknown outside their hometown of Chicago. Headed by lead vocalist/guitarist Billy Corgon, the band is also composed of James Iha on guitar, D'arcy on bass, and Jimmy Chamberlain on drums. "Siamese Dream" sold over three million copies. In 1994, The Pumpkins released "Pisces Iscariot," a collection of b-sides from previous singles and previously unreleased material. Because of the lack of new material, many people shied away from it.

"Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" was released in October. The most striking feature is its 28 new songs, divided onto two discs, subtitled "Dawn to Dusk" and "Twilight to Starlight." The songs range from slow and fast-paced rock. "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" opens with Corgan singing AThe world is a vampire/sent to drain." As it continues, Corgan bursts into the now well-known chorus, "Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in cage." Two other great songs are "1979," a fast-paced melody with a soft guitar beat, sure to be a release and "Zero," which (although it probably will not be released) could be the best song on the album. It is simply a two-and-a-half minute rocker. Before launching into the chorus, Corgan asks "Wanna go for a ride?" Perhaps Corgan is, as he suggests, "intoxicated with the madness," but his band sure produces a great sound